Ready to Purchase my 1st (cheapish) Leica Lens

Jerren

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone, I normally wouldn't make a post like this asking for suggestions/thoughts on lenses but there just seems to be so many options and variants that I feel like I've been in a Leica 50mm Inception and I need a kick. I'm a low level Leica owner who doesn't have a big budget. Up till now, I've only owned a Zeiss 28mm and Voigtlander 35mm lenses for my Leica cameras. Now I have the desire to own a 50mm. My price range is ~$500-~$900.

Originally I was looking at a 50 Summicron V2. I like the images I've seen made with this lens however I'm not too crazy about it not having a focus tab. I've found one locally from a private seller but I'm not too crazy about the price as he's nearing my $900 limit. This same seller also has a 50 2.8 collapsible Elmar as well for much less.

I found a v4 on ebay for a good price but I suspect the bidding will go over my $900 limit so I'll probably miss out on that one.

I recently discovered the 5cm Summarit v2 (1957). Its much cheaper than the Summicrons and is 1.5. I've also seen some pretty good images from it. My concern about it though is mainly the age of the lens. I've read that the older lens have "soft glass" and can easily be damaged.

I guess i'm just wondering what are your thoughts on these options? Are there any other 50mm options that I should be considering? I would be using the lens mostly for street photography so having a big aperture would not come into play too often for me. Basically I just want the best Leica 50mm lens that has the best image quality in this price range. I know that is subject to opinion but I'd love to hear some opinions regarding this.

Thanks in advance!

Jerren,

Of all the options you mention, the collapsible Elmar (which version?) is the one that seems to make most sense: it's small, light, extremely easy to focus and fast enough for most street work. The Summarit has a crazy bokeh (some like it, some don't) and is very prone to flare.

The Summicrons are excellent, but I'm not sure you can find one in good condition in the price range you are contemplating.

And then, of course, there are Zeiss (eg, the Planar 50/2) or Voigtlander (eg, the Skopar 50/2.5) options.

Does it have to be a Leica lens? At the suggested price level, you get a new Zeiss Planar, with extended warranty option, which is a fantastic lens indeed. Just my 2 cents....

Honestly, Its just one of those things that I've fixed my mind on. I've been reading threads and looking at pictures and I've convinced my self that its time to get a 50 and if I'm going to get one, it should be made by Leica. Thats not to say the 3rd party options aren't great. I've been having a blast with my Zeiss 28.

Jerren,

Of all the options you mention, the collapsible Elmar (which version?) is the one that seems to make most sense: it's small, light, extremely easy to focus and fast enough for most street work. The Summarit has a crazy bokeh (some like it, some don't) and is very prone to flare.

The Summicrons are excellent, but I'm not sure you can find one in good condition in the price range you are contemplating.

And then, of course, there are Zeiss (eg, the Planar 50/2) or Voigtlander (eg, the Skopar 50/2.5) options.

The Elmar is the 1957-1974 variant.

If the Summarit is used with a lens hood, the flare issue still exists? I'm not completely sure what I think of the bokeh on the old Summarit. I am somewhat leaning this direction now due to the cost of the lens, and the available speed (even though I probably wouldn't use it much but its nice to know its there.)

If I was to go the 3rd party route, it would probably be the Planar. I really enjoy my Zeiss Biogon and I know they make a great product.

If the Summarit is used with a lens hood, the flare issue still exists?

Yes, the hood helps somewhat, but doesn't cure the problem. Besides, the original hood is a rare (read: expensive) item and the 3rd-party solutions are not cheap either (the Summarit's filter size is unusual).

See here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-lenses/276624-thoughts-summarit-5cm-1-5-a.html for more on this lens.

Edited by Ecar
added link to thread

I've used the 1969 Summicron for 40+ years, and think it is better than people realize. This was a Mandler design, based on the Summicron R. For $900 it is still a good deal, if in good shape. The lack of a focus tab is only an issue if the lube has gotten stiff. Otherwise you get used to it, and I like the slim barrel of this model.

I also have 2 of the Elmar 2.8 of that vintage - one is clearly sharper than the other, so I trust the sharper one is "normal." I could also be happy with it as my only 50 (but don't ask how many 50s I actually have!)

50 2.8 collapsible version 2 recently discontinued. Pretty much my go to lens on M9. Performs much better than the 1950`s version. Have both.

I have used all the Summicrons 50 on the M9. I only dislike the collapsible one. If you want sharp into the corners wide open, the current is really the best option although the 1969 is reasonably close. My rigid from 1950`s looks might handsome on a chrome M9P. People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them they are almost 60 years apart.

The new APO would be nice if the budget was a wee bit bigger.

In my opinion, the far and away best 1.4 is the current one.

Now all this hinges on finding good used ones, on the easiest thing to do.

There is the 50 2.0 Zeiss which is a fine lens. New is within your budget.

If it was me and I had your budget it would be the collapsible 50/2.8 Elmar-M (v2 from 1994) without a doubt.:)

You might find a v4 Summicron towards the upper limit of your range but you'd need to make sure it was sound.

Pete.

Jerren,

you still have the M8 right?

get the 40mm Summicron. spend about $500-$600. that lens is a sensation for that much money. seriously.....and it's about 53mm on the M8 with crop factor...just perfect.

Jerren,

you still have the M8 right?

get the 40mm Summicron. spend about $500-$600. that lens is a sensation for that much money. seriously.....and it's about 53mm on the M8 with crop factor...just perfect.

+1

It's one of the least appreciated older Leica lenses in existence today and it would be near the bottom of your budget range. I use it on a FF Leica and it sits in between both highly popular lenses--the 50 and the 35.

Thanks for the responses every one! I didn't really think of the 40 Summicron because my intentions were to use the lens mainly on my m2. Currently I only use my 35mm voigtlander on the m2 and my Zeiss 28mm on the m8. I'll take a look at the other 50s and will probably start considering the Planar.

• Like 2

Does it have to be a Leica lens? At the suggested price level, you get a new Zeiss Planar, with extended warranty option, which is a fantastic lens indeed. Just my 2 cents....

Jerren,

50 2.8 collapsible version 2 recently discontinued. Pretty much my go to lens on M9. Performs much better than the 1950`s version. Have both.

I have used all the Summicrons 50 on the M9. I only dislike the collapsible one. If you want sharp into the corners wide open, the current is really the best option although the 1969 is reasonably close. My rigid from 1950`s looks might handsome on a chrome M9P. People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them they are almost 60 years apart.

The new APO would be nice if the budget was a wee bit bigger.

In my opinion, the far and away best 1.4 is the current one.

Now all this hinges on finding good used ones, on the easiest thing to do.

There is the 50 2.0 Zeiss which is a fine lens. New is within your budget.

Three choices:

50/2.8 Elmar-M collapsible 50/2.8 Elmar-M (v2 from 1994) or

2.5/50 Summarit (current version 2nd hand) or

2.0/50 ZM Planar (I don't think you should be dismissive of this outstanding lens)

Well I took all of your advise and went with the Planar. I got a good deal on it (about a $100 discount new.) So it looks like I will have to put my hopes of getting my first Leica lens on hold for now. But all of the reviews for the Planar seem great. Now its time for the worst part, waiting for it to arrive. :eek:

• Like 2