Summilux 50 ASPH....

suhendra

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi...

Currentyl I'm using ME with 50 dan 35 Summarit

I'm amazed at pictures by 50 Summilux, and now I'm thinking of selling my 50 and 35 Summarit to get a 50 Summilux ASPH.. though I had to add some more for it..

What do you think about this... Is it worth it?

Thanks before

I own both 50 Summilux asph and Summarit and (when I need a 50) I use 90% Summarit.

Summilux is a great lens, but, if I where you, I wouldn't sell a 35 + 50 combo to buy a single 50.

A great lens helps, but a great photo is shot first of all with your brain. Your gear is just a tool.

I wish to add that your Summarits are great lenses.

Franco

• Like 1

suhendra, welcome to the forum.

I echo the above. Unless you have a clearly defined need for extra speed and performance at the widest apertures, keep the lenses you have. A wider and/or medium telephoto lens would add a new capability to your kit. A 75 or 90 Summarit would be ideal for portraiture and tighter compositions.

• Like 1

I was where you are, fretted about it for a while, and eventually made the sacrifice to get the 50 Summilux asph. I was so glad I did because this is a very special lens that produces superb pictures at all apertures up to f/11 and I've never looked back and wished I hadn't bought it. If you're prepared to carry the marginal extra weight of the 50 Summilux asph then you'll be surprised at how often you'll find opportunities to use it wide open where it really shines.

I say go for it if you can!:)

Pete.

(PS, my guess is that your mind is already made up or you wouldn't be asking the question here and looking for support.:D)

• Like 3

Guest borge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have never owned a Summarit so I can't say anything about that lens but I do own the Summilux 50 ASPH.

The Summilux 50 ASPH for me is like two lenses in one. It has a lot of lovely character at f/1.4 and this character diminshes evenly up to f/4 from my experience, and at f/5.6 it is very clean and correct in it's renderings.

I am so happy that I bought this lens. I considered a Summicron 50mm before I bought the Lux and even though the Cron was excellent the Lux had a lot more personality, especially at 1.4.

It's a lens that I will keep for a long, long time. So the investment was well worth it for me.

Do you shoot often indoor or in dark scenes?

- If not, i would keep your lenses as is, you will hardly find better ones for the price.

- If so, a fast lens is a must have and the Summilux 50 asph is one of the very best of them. But it is a harsh lens for portraiture if you shoot less than perfect skins so another option could be a late Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph, which would allow you to keep the very good Summarit 35/2.5.

I have the 50 Summilux as well, and the praise heaped on it is well deserved.

How often do you use your 35?

A single lens camera system is appealing for its discipline, and this would be a nice single lens to have. Perhaps after a year or so, you can save up for a 28 Summicron, or a 35 Summilux. If a 28 Summilux gets released, then the 28 Summicron may come down in price as people rush to the latest and greatest.

If it stimulates your photography, why not?

Cheers

John

Just a word of caution, you say you're amazed by photos with the Summilux. You mean photos you've seen others produce?

Don't think that just buying the lens will make your own photos as amazing. Try to master what you already have. Buy the Summilux if you really need 1.4, if not you're wasting your money.

IMHO.

Guest Duane Pandorf

I was in a little bit different situation but maybe similar. I had been shooting with a 35mm Summicron v2 (my only m lens) on a cropped sensor, 50 FOV. I recently bought my first Leica, a M-E, and found I really felt lost with the 35. I could have found an inexpensive 50 and kept the 35 but I wanted a fast long term investment 50 for my primary lens.

So I sold my 35 to fund my like new 50 Summilux pre-ASPH. I've been very happy with this decision. Down the road I will add a newer version of the 35 if I need to but I've settled on a 28-50-90 travel kit.

Hi...

Currentyl I'm using ME with 50 dan 35 Summarit

I'm amazed at pictures by 50 Summilux, and now I'm thinking of selling my 50 and 35 Summarit to get a 50 Summilux ASPH.. though I had to add some more for it..

What do you think about this... Is it worth it?

Thanks before

Curious to see which way you go. Despite its merits ang the speed of the Summilux would not swap the 2 Summarits for a 50mm. The 35mm is also too useful a focal length to give up. But there was a time I was thought 50mm was as 'normal' as I now think of the 35mm.

- Vikas

Thank you very much for all of your advice

I'm very glad that you guys had enlightened me

I think I'm going to use my combo for a while first

and if I'm saving enough I'll change my 50 rit to lux

Thank you.....

Please don't drag your nails across the blackboard....:o. The Summilux would be my choice...
  • Like 3

Currently I'm using an M-E with Summarit-M 50 mm and 35 mm lenses. I'm amazed at pictures by 50 Summilux, and now I'm thinking of selling my 50 and 35 Summarits to get a Summilux-M 50 mm Asph. [...] What do you think about this ... Is it worth it?

Definitely not!

If you feel you must have a Summilux-M 50 mm Asph—which sure is a marvellous lens—then you may swap your Summarit-M 50 mm for it ... but keep your Summarit-M 35 mm! Better yet, also keep the Summarit-M 50 mm. If you don't then sooner or later you will miss it. When swapping the Summarit for the Summilux then you'll gain some lens speed (which is desirable) but you won't gain any image quality, and you'll lose some easyness of use (which also is desirable) due to bulk, weight, sensitivity to flare, and cost. To me, it makes perfect sense to have two 50 mm M lenses—a slow and compact one, like Summarit-M, Elmar-M, or Elmar, plus a fast one, like Summilux-M or Noctilux-M.

I just bought myself a Summilux 50 ASPH with the intention of handing in my Summicron 50 as a commision sale to fund the Summilux. Things did not go to plan and I walked out of the shop with a new Summilux and the Summicron still in my pocket - I just couldn't bring myself to sell the Summicron. When I have sold Leica lenses in the past to fund an upgrade I have always later regretted it or there value has increased. Ah well, time to earn some more money to fund my habit.:o

With the focus on the new M and increased production capacity, there are many new lenses in the market and even some resale ones at a bargain. If you can afford it without breaking your bank or denying your kids an education, do it. Nothing to regret. ;-)