What would be a good next lens to get?

Appmax

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am enjoying my lens collection and want to expand. I am fortunate to have the following:

- Wate (16-18-21)

- Mate (28-35-90) e55

- 35mm Summilux (latest version)

- Noctilux

- 90mm Sumicron ( latest version)

I know this is good set up but it is fun to try/collect lenses. So my question is, what old or new lens could I add that would add a new dimension to my kit? Like most, I prefer fast lenses. I wouldn't be opposed to having a bit of redundancy. For example, if a pre-ASPH 50mm would bring a new dimension/look/option, that would be fine. I have thought about trading out my Wate for a wide angle prime. I'm not sure this makes much sense. Any suggestions? What gems am I missing?

Honestly, is your main interest collecting, or is it photography?

If the latter, use what you have (or even better, a sub-set of it), and see what it can do for you.

Having too much is severely counterproductive, for several reasons.

• Like 2

Wrong question IMO. It's not which lenses are missing; rather it's what types of photos, or photographic qualities, are you missing, if any?

Even then, there are myriad ways to attain different aesthetic effects, and lenses are but one link in the chain from picture to print.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Appmax,

Looking at your kit, my first thought is one of envy. Suppressing that, my second thought is that it would take me several years to acclimatize to what you have already, during which time I would come to realize what direction my kit should take. But that's me, not you.

My third and fourth thoughts are questions.

(3) Do you take close-ups? At present, for these, I use a Nikon film SLR. Later this year --probably in December :( -- when we both receive our M240s, we shall have a chance to find out whether Live View and the EVF makes digital close-up photography not only possible, but comfortable, on a Leica. At that point it might make sense to buy a macro lens, such as the 90mm Macro-Elmar.

If you go down this route, you will need a decent tripod, if you don't already have one. At present, I have a Gitzo 2-series carbon-fibre set of legs with an Arca-Swiss ball head, which I am sure would be adequate for any likely weight of Leica kit.

(4) Do you take landscapes? I don't often, though I do have a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 (there is a law that says that all Nikon users have to have a 24mm f/2.8 ;)). If you do take landscapes, then I suspect you often use a moderate wide-angle at f/11 or f/16. Landscape photographers seem to crave the highest possible levels of sharpness ... which usually come from prime lenses with a modest maximum aperture, such as the 24mm Elmar or the 28mm Elmarit.

Landscape photography also needs a decent tripod.

(5) Do you need an ultra-lightweight kit? A set comprising the 28mm Elmarit, the 50mm Summarit, and the 90mm Macro-Elmar weighs a total of 650g -- less than the Noctilux alone. :eek: It would also meet needs (3) and (4).

Later,

Dr Owl

----------------------------

John Owlett, Southampton, UK

What I would miss in this set is a really small lens. A lens that would allow me to put the M with the lens mounted in my pocket. It is really liberating when you can walk around without something dangling from your neck. In some cases it will make the difference between taking the M with you or leaving it home.

Several options, and most of them have a nice 'vintage' look in the way they render:

Elmarit 50 collapsible, Elmar 50 collapsible, Summicron 40C, Summilux 35 Version I, Summicron 50 collapsible....

Thanks. My main uses are portrait, landscape and street photography.

Agreed, I feel fortunate to have great tools to work with now.

Sometimes I read about the older glass and people comment that they have a different look versus current lenses - a bit less sharp, lower micro-contrast but a softer look. I was thinking that perhaps something like a pre-ASPH 50mm might give a different look and not be so expensive. Small, low aperture, light with a soft classic feel would be a nice addition.

I am not buying lenses to collect, but I feel comfortable buying Leica lenses because I know that they will retain their value if well cared for.

Thanks for the ideas.

Agreed, I feel fortunate to have great tools to work with now.

Sometimes I read about the older glass and people comment that they have a different look versus current lenses - a bit less sharp, lower micro-contrast but a softer look. I was thinking that perhaps something like a pre-ASPH 50mm might give a different look and not be so expensive. Small, low aperture, light with a soft classic feel would be a nice addition.

I am not buying lenses to collect, but I feel comfortable buying Leica lenses because I know that they will retain their value if well cared for.

Thanks for the ideas.

I think the Mk II or Mk III 50 pre ASPH Summilux is lovely.

If you're a portrait photographer, Appmax, you may be interested in a thread on the subject at GetDPI.com:

Looking for Leica lenses for portraits recommendations - The GetDPI Photography Forums

(Messrs Moderators: am I allowed to post a cross-reference such as this? Please edit it out if not.)

Now, I've seen wonderful environmental portraits taken with 21mm lenses, and wonderful fashion shots taken with 180mm lenses. And obviously, your Noctilux can be superb for waist-up portraits. But there is traditional "portrait lens" of 75mm to 105mm with a flattering soft appearance, that is used for head-and-shoulders pictures. I'm looking for one, so I analysed the responses in that thread.

The 90mm APO-Summicron ASPH that you have is often seen as being almost too sharp--too clinical--for portraits. The three lenses with the most supporters were

* the 90mm Elmarit-M, used wide open at f/2.8 for softness,

* the Zeiss ZM 85mm f/2, and

* the 75mm Summilux.

Later,

Dr Owl

---------------------------

John Owlett, Southampton, UK

Didn't mention which body you are using.

If an M is in your hands or your future, agree with Dr Owl on macro and also suggest telephoto. Perhap a 100 ÀPO with double extender as I did for close ups and tele to go along with my 180 R lens.

35 Summicron is a lovely small combo and love my 24. Choices can be good. They can be confusing too! I like having the options and somehow they all get used.

FWIW I decided on an 18 in lieu of a WATE as most people said they use WATE ar 16 the bulk of the time.

Guest borge

Workshops, travel, exploration.

All of this will provide more than any lens can do.

You already have a very nice collection. Now go put it to good use :-)