jlm

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

I think Johns first initial run at production will be around 50 units, I will let him give the time frame on it but if you think about the actually money you would have to pay for the 67 filter holder at 70 dollars , I just bought a 67mm filter at 170 dollars. Thats 240 dollars and it don't work. I could shoot myself for buying that 67mm B+W which I guess I will sell on e-bay now. But working with the normal hood and this really small adapter is going to be wonderfull. So John will come up with a final price but it certainly will not only save you some money but will be a far better solution in performance and look of the lens. Marks role in this was the design and my role is what my role always is , to help the end user and i think we will really have a winner in this. I believe John will sell these directly to customers but i will let him talk about this part of the adapter. I am just here to help anyway i can.

We do need to give Mark Norton a lot of credit here since he has been working on this before the WATE even hit the streets and also for John to get this going in his mill shop for all of us. This was a very complicated milling from what John reports so kudo's to both of them for there talents on this project

Guest guy_mancuso
Yes, please, let me know how to get one. Do you need our hoods to make it? Put me on the list.

Joe

Joe I don't think you need to send in your hoods. They will just screw on normally like they would with lens. You will need a leica 49 cut filter and maybe the retaining ring. John's working on the filter placement today. So he will let us know on what we need for attachment. But i believe he will supply the adapter and the front O ring for the hood and the end user will install the filter, we do need to get the glass out of the orginal ring, the Stop that Robert talked about John said worked good. But let's see what the final word is today on the install part, it may have changed from what i know at the moment

Guest Bernd Banken

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gentlemen,

please be aware that using this filterholder you are loosing your Leica guarantee

after 10 years?:D

Edit: this is transatlantic craftsmenship.;)

Bernd

Gentlemen,please be aware that using this filterholder you are loosing your Leica guarantee

Bernd - Would that be the guarantee whereby Leica's lamentable solution for using an essential filter and essential lens hood on an extremely expensive lens deteriorated the lens' performance?

Stick your head out the window; that's not Global Warming - it's blushes from Solms.

Somehow I really do not think voiding the Leica guarantee is an issue, and shame on them if there is any suggestion that it is.

Well done the Refuseniks!

.............................Chris

Thanks Guy, it's great that John has been able to turn the idea into reality and needless to say, I'm not going ahead with getting it made here.

It was good of you to raise the issue of price. John hasn't told us what the cost will be but it's only reasonable he does this on a commercial basis. When I was talking about getting them made, I had a few PMs saying $100 would be acceptable but I think we should all expect them to be rather more than that. The material and anodising cost, the setup time and use of a very expensive computer controlled milling machine (I assume), the quality control, shipping and handling and so on will all add to the cost.

It might just be that the Leica marketing person who's pinned his bonus on sales of the filter ring and filter is going to be disappointed LOL.

status report:

they are done and work well.

Guy will have the first adapter on Monday, but there wasn't time to anodize that particular one. I expect to have the run of ten ready to ship, anodized, by thursday and be in production for the remaining run of 50 pcs. the final price will be $130, that will include the adapter redy for you to fit your own glass and retainer ring from a B+W 489 49mm filter.

these adapters mount to the WATE exactly like the hood and even have a tiny screw as an index for the f-stop (presently, this index is on the hood.) the hood then mounts to the adapter exactly like it mounted to the lens. the adapter moves the hood forward about 5/16" (8mm). When the lens is set to 16mm, the inner surface of the filter glass is 1.5mm away from the lens surface.

the adapter is machined from aluminum and black anodized.

best way to get one is to e-mail me:

jm@milich.com

Guest guy_mancuso

That is a great price for a customized filter holder . i can see a line forming . Great stuff John really is that you were able to crank some test ones out so fast and with high quality

NEXT GRIP. Rotflmao

Great job John ! I'll buy one also as soon as they are available. I hope the manipulation to get the glass out of the filter and then in the adapter is not too difficult for people not gifted like me.

BTW, I got no answer to my mail to Solms about their possible future plans on the subject....Good to see that some LUF members have entrepeneurial skills (if not Leica). ;)

Michel

Guest guy_mancuso

Well mine goes right to work as soon as I pick up Monday morning at the Fed x station and off I go. Nothing like testing something right in the middle of a fire storm. Love this stuff. Hopefully i can post some real images from it Monday night.

Guest guy_mancuso

I would like to do that if John has one. I already have sent e-mails to key folks on this. Little bit of gloating and letting them know there are some bad asses around here. ROTFLMAO