jlm

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John:

Was it a B+W F-pro 49mm you used? The people getting the adapter will want to start ordering the filters and perhaps get the right sized rubber stopper from microtools to facilitate gettting the locking ring of the filter and screwed into the adapter.

I step away for a week and you guys make Mark's elegant solution a reality. Clearly, you have forgotten that this solution is for a Leica product ... you need to veil the finished product in more secrecy and a lengthy development. ;)

Please add me to the list.

Kurt

Perhaps we should be sending one to Stefan as a gift from the Leica User Forum to show them what they should be doing!

I don't think Leica understands how important the filters are to its users

as much as anyone, I want Leica (and Kodak) to succeed with the M8 venture, but the filters are critical to its use for color photography ...these were promised for early February & now April is upon us

the problem is all the worse as it is clear that foliage greens get seriously degraded without the filters and are gloriously rendered with them

I don't think the folks at Solms recognize just how serious this problem is for users as they are probably still swooning over the initial sales success of the M8

that success can hurt them as more users get disgruntled with their new cameras that are unable to render some blacks and all foliage accurately

we should hold their feet to the fire

delivering these filters is critical to the sustained success of the M8

Guest guy_mancuso

Arthur they know very well how important these filters are , no question about that. I won't make excuses for the delays but there are other companies involved and not just one or two but many and than there is shipping and customs which always cause delays. i want my 4 as much as anyone else BUT i also bought a bunch too and if it is a critical timing issue than i would not wait for free ones. I'm just about to list one or two on e-bay that i don't need a 67mm for example but there are filters out there to buy also

here is a tease...Guy's lens with adapter and filter mounted.

this is the first fully working prototype and is painted.

Next week, black anodized versions, at least ten will be ready to ship.

i will be responding to e-mails and other requests, e-mail is best.

jm@milich.com

this lens and adapter with filter is going to Guy for Monday.

If I happen to need to see another lens for fitting tests next week...anyone in the NYC area?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well gentelman, congratulations and compliments, looks like you made it. The one and only IR solution for the WATE! What about an image taken with the filter glass now? No vignettition at all? If that works fine, I´ll be on the list!

I´ve just canceled my order for the leica filter at Leica, a 67mm filter in front of a M lense is insane. I´d probably trip over it ;-).

Greetings from Germany

Frank

Guest guy_mancuso

Yea i have the 67 holder, 67 mm filter on e-bay now. LOL What a waste now

I do have a leica 21mm finder on there folks that i bought by accident

quick shot out the window with the filter and hood in place. i'll leave it to Guy to wring it out, but I see no vignetting (shot at f8, 16mm, infinity focus)

and some expected cyan in the corners.

shot as a quick jpg, wb was off of course, tweaked a bit in PS.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I see the cyan.

Guy have you made the same experience with the Leica filter? Do you have the same cyan in the corners with it?

I had the same cyan effect when I put a 39mm IR in front of my CV 15mm.

In the end we´ll have to melt our own glass to produce some sort of center IR filter that fades out to the corners...

Where are all these built in filters placed at a super wide angles lense? Has anybody ever had the courage to try something with an IR filter at the back lense? I´ll try it...

Guest guy_mancuso

The cyan cast will be there no doubt on either a Leica or B+W filter but will NOT be there on firmware 1.1 because it gets processed out through the firmware on coded lenses. 1.10 will probably hit the streets in two weeks, so on the CV 15mm you can get a 90mm adapter and hand code that for the WATE lens. That's what coding i would give it for the next firmware upgrade. I can't say anything past this point on the firmware though. Just code it as the WATE lens is coded

Where are all these built in filters placed at a super wide angles lense? Has anybody ever had the courage to try something with an IR filter at the back lense? I´ll try it...

Wide angles with built-in filter turrets calculate the location and thickness of the filter as part of the lens design.

Putting an extra piece of glass behind a wide-angle results in loss of sharpness due to refraction. (That's why the M8 sensor coverglass is so thin.)

Putting a dichroic element behind a wide-angle lens brings up the problem of red cut varying with angle of incidence (as do such filters in front of the lens), plus the increased possibility of internal reflection.

That's the theory, anyway. Do try it out, and let's see whether practice defeats theory again! :)

--HC

Guest guy_mancuso

Wel I did get the adapter this morning and it really is a piece of brillant work by John , it adds a touch of length to the lens about 3/8 of a inch but really works well , I shot all day with it . No vignetting and a joy to work with. my copy is painted but everyones will be anoidized so it will look nicer than mine but it does have a nice look to it and does not spoil the Leica look. Thinking of spray painting mine a black semi-gloss. i would get in line for these folks , can't recommend this enough.