Sign in to follow this  
LikeMyLeica

M9 VF moves about when focusing Biogon 25 ZM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can explain or diagnose a behaviour that to me, anyway, as a new M9 user, is a bit strange and disconcerting?

I just bought a used Zeiss Biogon 2.8/25 ZM on ebay. Seems in perfectly acceptable condition. But when I mount it on my M9 (bought new last October) and try to focus with it, the whole (internal) viewfinder seems to move around, from side to side and (slightly less) up and down.

Is this normal or should I be worried?

I see from this thread on the Rangefinder forum that there were two versions of the Biogon 25 ZM's bayonet mount - I don't know if that has anything to do with it:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87222

The lens codes helpfully listed here mention a 'mount fix' for the Biogon 25:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/leica-lens-codes/

The Biogon 25 shifts the viewfinder on my M8, too, though the movement seems slightly less.

Any advice or reassurance will be gratefully received!

Best wishes

You can demonstrate this for yourself by removing the lens and pressing the cam tracking roller (top of lens opening) toward the back of the body while looking through the finder.

Well, blow me down - thank you both for putting my mind at rest!

Best wishes to all,

Edited by LikeMyLeica
Typo

LOL this question crops up once a quarter on average, "help, I think I've broken my viewfinder"!

I know no one reads the manual but......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

LOL this question crops up once a quarter on average, "help, I think I've broken my viewfinder"!

I know no one reads the manual but......

As far as I can see, it's not mentioned anywhere in the manual, is it?

Page 131 in the middle of the left hand column.

They thought of it, what, 50+ years ago...

My M2 does it and it is circa 1958 or so. I bought it used in 1965. Still works.

... H

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this