Hard to find hoods and filters

richard-liu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just in case somebody needs rare-sized hoods or filters, e.g., for the Summarit 50mm f/1.5, and doesn't mind a third-party item, check out HeavyStar (HeavyStar Photo Gears Home Page). They make a vented metal hood for the Summarit 50mm f/1.5 that would actually stack onto an E43 filter, and supply an E41 to E43 step up ring with it. So I can use 43mm filters between the step up ring and the hood. I've also purchased a 39-43mm step up ring for a Summicron 50mm f/2 Dual Range, so I'll be able to use the same filters and hood with it as with the Summarit. The hood itself comes with a cap, and caps for 43mm lenses are also sold. The prices are reasonable. The hood (incl. step up ring and cap) for the Summarit costs USD 24.88); the step up ring for the Summicron, USD 6.95. The hood and step up rings seem to be aluminum painted flat black.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by richard-liu

Yes, HS is a great source for bits and pieces that are good substitutes for some of the original Leica parts offered at outrageous prices on Fleabay.

However, I haven't seen many of his hoods in silver finish (most are black, unless this has changed recently), which looks much better on old chrome lenses.

The good news is that other CN vendors on the Bay now offer what seem to be the exact same products but with a silver gray finish. Competition and choice are good.