MATE frame lines...

jdlaing

The Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50 mm Asph (a.k.a. medium-angle Tri-Elmar, or MATE) automatically pulls up the frame lines matching the respective focal length setting—i. e. 28/90 for 28 mm, 35/135 for 35 mm, and 50/75 for 50 mm.

Edited by 01af
  • Like 1

The Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50 mm Asph (a.k.a. medium-angle Tri-Elmar, or MATE) automatically pulls up the frame lines matching the respective focal length setting—i. e. 28/90 for 28 mm, 35/135 for 35 mm, and 50/75 for 50 mm.

Beautiful. Thank you.

I am considering one of these as I do 50/35 most of the time.

My plan: I have a WATE, 50 Summilux, 90 Summarit, 28 Elmarit, 35 1.4 Voigtlander.

I'll keep the 50 Lux, 35/1.4, WATE, 90 and add the MATE.

I don't do a lot of low light so the f4 should be fine at the low end. And I'll have the 50 and 35/1.4's to work with the occasional low light.

The reason I asked about the frame lines was to avoid the Frankenfinder on the camera ALL the time. I use it with the WATE but it is cumbersome.......

Fair plan?

Edited by jdlaing

Fair plan?

Basically ... yes. Provided you can live with a slightly reduced image quality at 28 mm, as the Tri-Elmar, at 28 mm, is pretty good but not quite as good as an Elmarit. But I'm not saying this to scare you, as the Tri-Elmar's performance at 28 mm definitely is not bad and more than good enough for most applications ... unless 28 mm was your most-important and most-used focal length. I feel it's a good plan. Maybe you want to keep your 28 mm Elmarit for a while after having acquired a Tri-Elmar, until you're really sure it's fine for you to let it go.

The only problem is ... the Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50 mm Asph has become a sought-after lens; it is hard to find in the used market these days, and mint or near-mint samples are calling increasing prices.

• Like 1

Beautiful. Thank you.

I am considering one of these as I do 50/35 most of the time.

My plan: I have a WATE, 50 Summilux, 90 Summarit, 28 Elmarit, 35 1.4 Voigtlander.

I don't do a lot of low light so the f4 should be fine at the low end. And I'll have the 50 and 35/1.4's to work with the occasional low light.

The reason I asked about the frame lines was to avoid the Frankenfinder on the camera ALL the time. I use it with the WATE but it is cumbersome.......

Fair plan?

You don't need extra view finder with MATE. It will switch to the right one.

I don't have any LUX, I have Summicron. Compared to other lenses, including MATE, the f2 does not mean speed but means image rendering. Even under good lighting I found being able to switch between f2 and f8 is much more important to me than the convenience of quickly switching the focal length. I found MATE hardly justified to loose the sweetness of Summicrons.

Your milage may vary.

• Like 1

Fair plan?

It is more or less the same set-up I use:

WATE

MATE

Voigtländer Nokton 1.4 40mm (I really love this tiny, tack sharp lens)

Summilux-M 1.4 50mm Asph.

Tele-Elmarit-M 2.8 90mm

For me it is perfect (the Voigtländer Ultron 1.9 28mm, the heavy Summilux-M 2.0 90mm pre-Asph. and the Tele-Elmar 4.0 135mm I only use occasionally).

• Like 1