Leica III wih B lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have recently managed to get myself a Leica after many years of wanting one, it is a Leica III which I have dated to 1939 with the serial number. The person I bought the camera from said the lens was a rare B lens in which only 50 were produced it just looks like a standard Elmer f=5cm 1:3.5 but if anyone could shed any light on this I would be grateful

Me too don't underastand that "B".... :confused::maybe it pretends to be an index of rarity ("A" = ultrare, "B" very rare" etc,,,)

"Special" Elmars do exist... in 1939 surely items for the Army were done... usually they have some engraving... anyway, I join the suggestion of a picture.

And... Welcome to the forum !!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Assuming that the camera and lens are both in good condition, then you have a nice deal.

Look forward to seeing the pic of the lens.

You can download a free manual for the camera. If you don't already know about it, read up on trimming the film leader - you need to make a long leader for loading the film correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
...Leica III which I have dated to 1939 with the serial number. The person I bought the camera from said the lens was a rare B lens...

1939 was the year when they made the Leica IIIb, perhaps the B was refering to the camera, which I believe is the 2nd least common Leica III (the g being the most rare); however, there were more than 50 made. I could be wrong, but that is just a thought.