Enlarger lens on Visoflex

hsw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found this 50mm Focotar on ebay for what seemed like a low price. I've been playing around with it on the visoflex.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pear blossom ready to open soon

Logo on vintage table-top tripod

• Like 7

Better to say :Enlarger lens on Visoflex + Bellows II

Focotar is the famous lens for enlarger but also for reproduction devices.

I remember the advertissement with a pict in B&W where there was an egg on an amount of pieces of charcoal and the words : no confusion ....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is not suprising that this lens works so well as a macro lens. As Dennis Laney (rest his soul) said on page 511 of Leica Collectors Guide "The Focotar 50 mm f4.5 of 1953.....was also eminently suitable for copying, which is only enlarging in reverse,.." He also notes in this book that the Elmar 50 mm f3.5 was a popular enlarging lens utilized on the leica enlargers from 1933 to 1939 (VAROB) and the enlargers used this standard Elmar with a simple screw in mount for the Leica enlargers. I always thought that was interesting to take pictures with the classic Elmar then unscrew it from your camera and put it on your enlarger and enlarge the same pictures taken with the same lens.

I also wish to say how much I enjoyed your pictures. The details exhibited in both are excellent and both do justice to your excellent technique. Thank you for sharing them. It reminds us that these older lens will always have suprises for us!

Edited by George Furst
Added comments about the photos provided
  • Like 1

It is not suprising that this lens works so well as a macro lens. As Dennis Laney (rest his soul) said on page 511 of Leica Collectors Guide "The Focotar 50 mm f4.5 of 1953.....was also eminently suitable for copying, which is only enlarging in reverse,.." He also notes in this book that the Elmar 50 mm f3.5 was a popular enlarging lens utilized on the leica enlargers from 1933 to 1939 (VAROB) and the enlargers used this standard Elmar with a simple screw in mount for the Leica enlargers. I always thought that was interesting to take pictures with the classic Elmar then unscrew it from your camera and put it on your enlarger and enlarge the same pictures taken with the same lens.

I also wish to say how much I enjoyed your pictures. The details exhibited in both are excellent and both do justice to your excellent technique. Thank you for sharing them. It reminds us that these older lens will always have suprises for us!

Danny,

Thanks for your comments. While it would be infinitely simpler to do these macros with a DSLR, I don't think I would have as much fun. I really enjoy finding new ways to enjoy my Visoflex; the hunt for the lens and the proper adapter was fun as well.

Henry