18mm Super-Elmar

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FWIW when traveling I tend to use 18, MATE, 75 Cron and 135 Tele-Elmar.

Ed

I kind of built the same travel, actually only kit I own, as you did on the tele end. At the moment I own 35 FLE, 75 Cron and 135 APO and I'd like to wrap up the kit at the wide angle.

Have you perhaps had a chance to use WATE? If so, could you compare it at 18mm, please?

I'm not sure whether to get 21mm SEM, 18 or WATE? I also considered CV21 Ultron and CV12mm as alternative, but this would mean two more lenses instead of one and it might be too much. It surely won't fit the Hadley small. :)

WATE seems as a really great option, but I'm concerned about it's IQ in terms of sharpness, contrast etc. compared to the primes.

I know the following is kind of comparing apples and oranges, but in the dslr world, where I recently came from, Nikon 14-24 was the lens that moved the bar higher. On a scale 0-10, what would 18mm Super Elmar be compared to Nikon @18mm, or WATE @16-21 compared to the Nikon (let's put Nikon on 9) lens?

Edited by mirekti

Sorry haven't used Nikon since 1971 when switched to Leica and never tried WATE.

Did consider WATE and 18 and of course went with 18 and no regrets. In my research found most who use WATE did so at 16, the widest FL. Also was put off by the finder size and expense. With the M may have gone with WATE. Having the MATE also preferred single FL and not having to choose. Also preferred EXIF to reflect actual FL.

Have a Leica 24 2.8 Elmarit which is a great lens, but too close to 18 so leave home for longer trips. Do use it often at concerts and for group shots and it has no distortion!

Sorry can't be of any help with other lenses. While people speak glowingly of them, I'm in a Leica rut, and after they took care of my M9P this month they have continued to earn my loyalty over these years.

Finally, honestly believe we can make use of any FL or lens over time. Just think unless unlimited funds, best to put some distance between lenses.

Ed

• Like 2

The 18 is better than the WATE at 18 IMHO. I find the 21 has more use than the 18 on most outings. Some guys get the 21 and then use the CV12 or CV15 for special wide needs. Myself I tend to stick with 6 bit coded stuff and R lenses which can be brought up in the R list on the M240 so as to preserve EXIF data which is important to me.

The R 19/2.8 is a venerable lens and has barrel choices for filters built-in. So if you ever set the M240 for B&W then you can dial in the orange or yellow built-in filter which can also be used on the MM since the DOF is very deep with this particular lens.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
The 18 is better than the WATE at 18 IMHO. I find the 21 has more use than the 18 on most outings. Some guys get the 21 and then use the CV12 or CV15 for special wide needs. Myself I tend to stick with 6 bit coded stuff and R lenses which can be brought up in the R list on the M240 so as to preserve EXIF data which is important to me.

The R 19/2.8 is a venerable lens and has barrel choices for filters built-in. So if you ever set the M240 for B&W then you can dial in the orange or yellow built-in filter which can also be used on the MM since the DOF is very deep with this particular lens.

is ist not like that, the orange or yellow built-in filter work only with b/w film or monochrom leica...... not with color leica

is ist not like that, the orange or yellow built-in filter work only with b/w film or monochrom leica...... not with color leica

Traveling now, but if I remember correctly when setting the jpeg to render B&W it does work. My 19 is in Germany for many months.

• 2 weeks later...
I have now sort of bonded with this lens, BUT I find the very loose aperture ring an absolute pain, I have to check aperture almost constantly as it moves constantly :(

Anyone else have this problem ?

Yes I remarked that on one of two 18 mm elmar lenses. Oc I took the straight one.

Astonished me how that "bad "one found its way out of the factory.

Its a unique lense seldom and for me difficult to use, but has its " look "

I sometimes thought of selling it :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hamburg Harbour Film

Hamburg zoo digi

Hamburg " Swimm Opera " digi

Danmark Lighthouse digi

Hamburg railroad / carbridge digi

• Like 11

Just got mine, a mint used example. Enjoying it so far. No sign of the loose aperture ring problem....unlike my 35 'Lux FLE.....

• Like 7

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

m 18mm

• Like 5

I ended up getting the Zeiss 18 f4, mainly decent reviews and a 58mm filter size, I use 62mm on it from my Nikon and haven't had any filter corner issues. I actually bought it for a wider lens for my M8, but it is nice on my M3 (need a finder) and CL though it isn't as good as the 11-23 zoom for the CL.