18mm Super-Elmar

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This must be my favorite 18 SEM shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

IWC- Congrats and nice images. Jaap-love that one.

I have about any WA Leica you can think of. The M + EVF makes them all easier to frame. Frankly since acquiring a 15/2.8 R I seldom use the 18 SEM, but it is a stellar performer. The 21 SEM is also stellar. The M lenses are nice to carry on my many and long uphill journeys.

Lately other than 15 and 18 needs I am finding using lenses with similar filter size is my goal and this the 21 SEM fits in very well with my E46 grouping for MM and occasional ND use.

• Like 2

Hi again IWC. As mentioned I use the 18 finder and have not experienced the problems you have. Suggest having it looked at.

Just got my M so now debating whether I keep the 18 finder; have to shoot more to decide and then of course if will sell my M9P.

Let us know what you find about your finder.

Ed

Thanks, yes ill take the finder in to compare. It's usable no problem but much less impressive than the Voiglander, which doesn't seem right !

I'm continuing to have fun with the 18mm and have resisted removing it for the last week or two, ill post a few more uncropped pics when I'm back from hols in the Cotswolds and see how they come out. It's a lovely lens to use with the silky smooth focus and short throw.

I will swap it for the Nocti tonight but it'll be back on tomorrow ;-)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I'm back from hols and had the opportunity to try the 18 in a few more places. Again these are not heavily adjusted, a tweak in the basic LR panel where required, no cropping at all to show the edges. All at F5.6 or f3.8. Only for demonstarting my findings and experiences.

It's a very interseting lens with perspective as I find to frame I am often looking up and this shows the influence on the vanishing point and angles. I quite like it though, glad I'm not an architect ;) The foreground can be 'big' so I find myself looking for something interesting and realising in most cases its not there. I am also very aware of how distant this lens pushes things which can also be a challenge when framing, I hope these pictures demonstrate what I mean.

Still finding the 18 viewfinder less than perfect so will get it checked out this week. Still a lot better than guessing with a 21mm though !

• Like 3

Hi again IWC. Glad you are still shooting. The 18 SEM is a bit of a learned experience.

Agree some of your shots may benefit from a foreground. That's the goal with the 18 SEM. Guess that means getting closer or finding something of interest in the foreground. Getting closer is not always as interesting as finding something in the front, like your dog shot from before.

It's a different discipline. The 18 allows placing several objects in the scene, getting the viewer's eye to follow a line from the bottom to the top of the scene. Kind of like an S curve!

Ed

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still very much learning the 18mm but starting to enjoy different subjects and getting close, trying to use the distortion for interest and see different angles. I had always stuck with 28mm for cars, but like the intimacy with the 18mm. I still find it a difficult lens in many ways, I have also found I quite like adding some grain and film presets work well with all the detail and inherent micro contrast of the 18mm SEM (Well at least for me :rolleyes:)

• Like 6

A photography of a reflection in modern architecture, M240 and 18 SEM - I like that lens very much:

• Like 8

I have the SEM18 now for 1 year..

Execellent lens, micro-contrast is superb.

I have 18-28-50-90 mm set.

21, 24, 35 they are all nice lenses, it all depends on what your preference is.

Some say not much difefrence between 18 and 21, or 24 and 28, or 21 and 24.

In most cases zoom with your feet. However perspective should be in your mind and the lens only serves that need.

For me 28 and 50 are the most used and when I want wide...I want real wide, so the 18 deliver that

I'd used some Voigtlanders or Zeiss, great to but the 6-bit coded Leica lensesare convenient

And most of the time Leica glass is simply the best...yeah expensive too...but if you start with an M9, M-E or anM240 or even M-M...you want that glass too !

So far only the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 impressed me, but if you can live with 2.0 the summon 35/2.0 is unbeatable and about 1/3rd of the size/weight.

But the 18/3.8 SEM is a world-class lens, I use it with the 18mm Zeiss finder (Brighter and only 18mm frame)

I have 18-28-50-90 mm set. 21, 24, 35—they are all nice lenses, it all depends on what your preference is.

Yes, definitely. My preference is 35 + 50 mm—which comes as a surprise to myself. Two consecutive focal lengths, often considered 'to close together' ... but if I could have only two lenses for my Leica M system, they would be a 35 mm lens and a 50 mm lens. If allowed a third, it would be a 21 mm lens.

As a matter of fact, I shot an event last week-end, and I carried 21/1.4, 35/1.4, and 50/0.95. I used them all and didn't miss anything else. Life is good. (In good light, it's Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50 mm Asph.)

Hello,

a flower shop - very slightly cropped.

• 4 weeks later...

A good point, I haven't used it in a few weeks. The last time the light was rubbish (So I played with aggressive contrast film presets, again) and we were shopping !

I am about to take some interior shots as I have sold my house in Herts, I am also going to take some with my 21mm Elmarit and using Velvia on a Hasselblad SWC with Zeiss 38mm (I think close to 20mm equivalent), that will be intersting to compare.

Overall still happy with it, not sure if it will be a keeper though

• Like 2

Do you think the 21 would get more use than the 18 over time? I suppose some people just find a particular focal length feels more natural to them to others.

I'm enjoying your photos, you seem to have a knack with the lens, and I'm wondering whether anI would find an 18 a worthwhile addition or whether it's too close to my 21. But your comments earlier seem to suggest you find them quite different to use.

I'd be interested to see the results of your interior shots when you have them.

(Incidentally, I had a house in Herts before I moved up to the Highlands about ten years ago.)

• Like 1

I dunno. Seem to find a number of views when the 18 can't be beat, and without much if any cropping. Of course can't be forced as 18 is not appropriate all the time. Might be hard pressed to use just the 18 as only lens unless an unusual situation.

When shooting Coliseum in Rome in June it was the only one I used and got spectacular results. Used it a lot inside churches when traveling or outside iof churches if not much room when in Europe this year. Used it also in Rome at the Spamish Steps with the boat like structure in the foreground. For these shots only the 18 would do. And found it as sharp as can be.

IWC, please give it some time, carry it with you with other lenses and the opportunities will present themselves. Have seen some spectacular images from you so have to believe you will develop your own style. FWIW when traveling I tend to use 18, MATE, 75 Cron and 135 Tele-Elmar. This way 28 not very close to 18 so easier to determine what I'm trying to say/paint.

Ed

• Like 1