Collapsible lens on leica m240

TRIago

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's some investigation I did in 2009 into collapsing the last-generation 50mm Elmar into an M8...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/95761-safe-collapse-50mm-elmar.html#post1004269

I don't see the lens throat is going to be any more restricted in the M240; my M is away in Solms so I cannot try it until it comes back.

• Like 1

The 50.2.8 does collapse into all digital M's...... including M (I posted a few pics with it a few days ago) ...... although the clearances are almost non existent ..... try measuring both (average 30.4mm) ........:rolleyes:

When locked the lens is rigid, but on collapsing there is a little side to side give which varies from lens to lens...... (I have 3)

..... as a result in some positions the lens clearly just catches the roller .... you can feel it .... but I have checked on numerous occasions and can't find and abrasions that suggest that it is anything significant. With the lens rotated in certain positions is collapses smoothly with no catching at all..... and generally if you do it carefully with no lateral pressure there is no noticeable catching.

I have used this lens a lot on several M bodies and from a practical point of view there is no problem if you are careful.

fairly obviously attaching or removing the lens when collapsed is asking for trouble....

this just confirms what Mark,Chris and Lct have said above....... use but be careful....

Edited by thighslapper

The black ridge at the end of the Elmar-M's tube is different than with other collapsible lenses. Though others have irregular edges which are necessary to fix the lens in the housing. If you take these edge into account the diameters don't differ much. I placed several other collapsibles (2.8/50 Elmar1. version; 3,5/50 Elmar, collapsible Summicron and Summitar on on top of the Elmar-M's black ridge, the edge of the other lenses always on the left:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hey,

I've seen your pictures but I'm not sure which one you have used the Elmar-M 50mm.

Can you please tell us? :)

Thanks,

Thiago.

The 50.2.8 does collapse into all digital M's...... including M (I posted a few pics with it a few days ago) ...... although the clearances are almost non existent ..... try measuring both (average 30.4mm) ........:rolleyes:

When locked the lens is rigid, but on collapsing there is a little side to side give which varies from lens to lens...... (I have 3)

..... as a result in some positions the lens clearly just catches the roller .... you can feel it .... but I have checked on numerous occasions and can't find and abrasions that suggest that it is anything significant. With the lens rotated in certain positions is collapses smoothly with no catching at all..... and generally if you do it carefully with no lateral pressure there is no noticeable catching.

I have used this lens a lot on several M bodies and from a practical point of view there is no problem if you are careful.

fairly obviously attaching or removing the lens when collapsed is asking for trouble....

this just confirms what Mark,Chris and Lct have said above....... use but be careful....

• 7 years later...

The flange distance is the same regardless it is film or sensor. However with sensor, that distance is to the sensor behind the sensor covering glass. So it might touch the covering glass. 

Back when I had Sony 7RIi, which has sensor based anti vibration, the sensor is “floating”, the problem could be worse, 

Edited by Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

The flange distance is the same regardless it is film or sensor. However with sensor, that distance is to the sensor behind the sensor covering glass. So it might touch the covering glass. 

Back when I had Sony 7RIi, which has sensor based anti vibration, the sensor is “floating”, the problem could be worse, 

There is a shutter before the sensor. The cover glass would be the least of your problems.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

There is a shutter before the sensor. The cover glass would be the least of your problems.

The shutter or the curtain does not have to be at the same position. 

Are you expecting the curtain to protect the sensor? OMG!

Edited by Einst_Stein

1 hour ago, Einst_Stein said:

The shutter or the curtain does not have to be at the same position. 

Are you expecting the curtain to protect the sensor? OMG!

The sensor is not exposed on an M digital camera when you mount a lens. The shutter is there first well ahead of the cover glass.

5 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

None of the 50mm collapsible lenses reach the sensor. 

Could the lens reaches the curtain? Could the curtain then reaches the sensor? To be more precise, reaches the covering glass over the sensor?

Edited by Einst_Stein

4 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

Could the lens reaches the curtain? Could the curtain then reaches the sensor? To be more precise, reaches the covering glass over the sensor?

No. The curtain and film plane has been the same distance on all digital M bodies. The problem is the throat gets banged up if the lens is mounted collapsed. Also there is a risk of bumping moving parts in the rangefinder mechanism if collapsed while mounting.