Leica X3 Revealed...

Keith (M)

Concept design, YES

Concept physics, NO

I once tried to convince my colleague to sell white carbon fibre (or more precisely to inform the client that rumor had it that the competitors could make this). That would have been a nice one, but no-one takes me seriously:o

• Like 1

Interesting but wildly impractical from a manufacturing and durability standpoint. Consider the amount of stress and wear to the pivot point and the tolerances and wear resistance that you are expecting it to maintain for photographic integrity. Opening and closing will involve twisting your hands in opposite directions and then relocating one hand to an operating position while not dropping the camera. I cannot see what is the natural position for your hands to fall into when holding or operating the camera. The two halves of the camera would fall into different planes which seems awkward to hold. The + an - buttons on the interior curve when opened would be hard to use. Using a case or neck strap is hard to imagine. Very pretty but not practical.

This looks more like an earlier Minox digicam than a future Leica, e.g., the 2003 DD1 camera. With that small body and round shape camera shake is likely to be a problem unless there is some pretty good image stabilisation going on.

minox_dd1_3.jpg

Nick

Edited by Nick_S

"This project is a personal project for self promotion only. Leica AG has not been included in the process in any way. I take no responsibility for any reposts."

Copyright?

One of the best things is the reproduction and re-use of classic Leica design elements, including shapes, materials, fonts, and the logo.

At first I wondered about ergonomics? Circular-shaped camera like lens? Not very easy to hold. But hmm, it it does look different.

Naaaaah, creative but naaaaaah !!! not ergonomic viable plus urgh -it looks awful (sorry personal preference)

What I will like to see in the X3 is 24MP full frame with built in EvF (maintaining it size and ergonomics)

just love this....I think the X3 name is erroneous for this concept....as it is far more progressive and futuristic than the X series is.

would truly be the ultimate "pocket" solution! Until somebody makes an M lens adaptor and throws the whole idea out the window! :)

This looks more like an earlier Minox digicam than a future Leica, e.g., the 2003 DD1 camera. With that small body and round shape camera shake is likely to be a problem unless there is some pretty good image stabilisation going on.

http://www.submin.com/tinycams/minox/dd1/minox_dd1_3.jpg

Nick

i owned that camera- it was unwieldly (i remember having to hang it from my neck and the only way to take a picture was to hold it by the knob)and did not have expandable memory (ie no SDCard) but it did have an OVF (basically a point and shooter) I do not remember if it had settings for focus or exposure. I sold it shortly after I bought it....it's built in memory had room for about 30 exposures and then it had to be downloaded to the computer--- not a good camera to take on an outing.

• Like 1

How does the viewfinder work? It looks too slim to be an optical finder but the images show rangefinder framelines and a rangefinder patch??? Sure this thing is AF?

Sorry but it's just another silly design piece, different purely for the sake of being different with no real thought given to how the thing could actually be manufactured, how it would work, or how it would perform in the real world.

Next!

• 4 weeks later...

The pivot could work. I had one of these (the last Contax digital cameras) - great camera, and very ergonomic.

contax%20u4r.jpg

I do like this concept as it asks a question nobody else is: what's really integral to quality photography today? It then chucks away everything else...