Which Hood for a Late 50's 90mm Elmar?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I just picked up a screwmount 90mm F4 Elmar, serial number 1,700,xxx- which dates it to 1959.

I have a Fikus hood, which fits the older (pre-1953 or so) Elmar, and a IUFOO for the Hector 135mm, and which is said to fit the collapsible 90mm Elmar as well according to the Leica wiki.

I'm left unclear which hood is appropriate for my lens, or whether the front part of the lens (which unscrews and looks a bit like a hood) is sufficient?

Thanks

Remi

According to my copy of Handbook of the Leica System 1999/2000 the change over from A36 (FIKUS fit) front of the f/4 90mm Elmar to E39 (IUFOO fit) occurred at #1573001. Your lens # is well into the E39 range. My later IUFOO hood (which is actually marked with the specifications of both lenses and the catalogue # 12575) fits both my late E39 (after # 1416001) 135mm Hektor and my 90mm Elmar.

The lens head is only unscrewed to be fitted upon a Visoflex reflex housing via an adaptor or bellows — it has nothing to do with lens hood fitting.

Hope this helps:D

I'm left unclear which hood is appropriate for my lens, or whether the front part of the lens (which unscrews and looks a bit like a hood) is sufficient?

?????

what is the front diameter of your lens A36 or E39 in case of A36 a FIKUS in case of E39 you need an IUFOO

Thanks for your replies,

My IUFOO certainly fits perfectly on this lens, but I was interested to see that the Leica Wiki states that the IUFOO is for the Hector 135mm, Elmarit 90/2.8 and the collapisble 90/4 Elmar, with no mention of the rigid Elmar. Likewise, the Wiki for my series of Elmar does not specify a hood...which is why I wanted to check that I wouldn't have a problem with vignetting etc.

I have attached a few photos showing the lens, with the front part unscrewed also to show what I mean. As this front component has a bit of depth, I was wondering whether it served a 'hood-like' function. Being a later Elmar, the optical cell itself does not unscrew, unlike the earlier ones which you could mount on a Visoflex bellows.

Remi

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for your replies,

My IUFOO certainly fits perfectly on this lens, but I was interested to see that the Leica Wiki states that the IUFOO is for the Hector 135mm, Elmarit 90/2.8 and the collapisble 90/4 Elmar, with no mention of the rigid Elmar. Likewise, the Wiki for my series of Elmar does not specify a hood...which is why I wanted to check that I wouldn't have a problem with vignetting etc.

This is probably due to the fact that the information relates to the time when the rigid Elmar was no longer available and the only lenses the IUFOO would fit were the ones mentioned.

I have attached a few photos showing the lens, with the front part unscrewed also to show what I mean. As this front component has a bit of depth, I was wondering whether it served a 'hood-like' function. Being a later Elmar, the optical cell itself does not unscrew, unlike the earlier ones which you could mount on a Visoflex bellows.

That part is not supposed to unscrew in normal use, only for servicing purposes. That is why J.C. was somewhat surprised in his earlier post.....

Cheers,

Jan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your replies...

.... Being a later Elmar, the optical cell itself does not unscrew, unlike the earlier ones which you could mount on a Visoflex bellows.

Remi

That's sounds very strange to me... :confused: : afaik, all the Elmars f4 (apart the collapsible version) have the lens group removable for Visoflex and Bellows usage... even the later 3 elements version has such a feature ; can be that in your item the lens group has NEVER been unscrewed and is very tight (it was so for an old black Elmar, prewar, that I bought years ago).

BTW : thanks for your pics... I didn't know that the front ring could be so easily unscrewed... I surely will try with mine... :cool:

Edited by luigi bertolotti

To paraphrase the Duke of Wellington what you did to the bezel of your 90mm Elmar may not have frightened Luigi but by God it frightened me. I am sure Luigi is right, the lens head has never been removed from the mount and the joint has become frozen. I am informed that the late Dennis Laney — a noted Leica historian and repairer — used those jam jar lid grips designed for us geriatrics to unscrew recalcitrant joints. Obviously this is much better than using vices or mole grips for the job.:D

I append an exploded view of my 90mm f/4 Elmar + IUFOO (or 12575) hood to help you see where the lens head unscrews. Incidentally the mm graph paper background is useful when a scale is required in scientific photography

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for the explanations/ pictures...I must have loosened the front ring while trying to unscrew the optical cell- I've screwed it back on tightly!

Will have a go 'jam jar' style to unscrew the optical cell sometime, and will stick to the IUFOO for now.

Remi