Shadow Commuters (Wall Street)

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M9 135m tele-elmar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 1

Thanks Michael and Paul for your comments, especially on my crack watermark, on which I have to agree with you. This is still a work in progress for me. Since you were so kind to speak your mind, can I ask what you think about this more subtle alternative?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Adam -

Delightful, and once again near NYSE. Actually, even though I generally don't like watermarks, even your larger one works better than most since it suggests an artist's signature. Of course I like the subtlety of the second version.

Thanks, Stuart. As you can see, my range during the work week is limited to the financial district. You are most welcome to meet me during the lunch hour and show me your favorite spots. It would be fun! Best, Adam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...can I ask what you think about this more subtle alternative?

For me this issue is more emotional and visual than anything else. I don't feel a need to worry about copyright - I think the chances of my stuff being stolen and used without my permission or payment is microscopic. I do not make money or my living from my pictures. If I were sending pictures off for approval in a commercial transaction, I would look for a watermark - Vuescan has this, at least for people who are using a "trial" version. The Magnum Photo agency does this with everything, for obvious reasons. But I am not a member of Magnum (in case there was any doubt:confused:).

With matted and framed prints under glass, I sign the mat, but never the print. That adequately associates the picture with me.

• Like 1

Hi Michael - thanks for your message. This is a new thing for me. And I'm not sure it will last as I don't want to distract anyone from the simple pleasure of looking at a picture. It clearly isn't a copyright tag. It merely is a watermark that references back to my gallery where a larger version of the picture can be seen, commented on and acquired.

It seems as though about half of the posters use some form of watermark. I have never been rubbed the wrong way by them. On the contrary, I guess I have in a way been inspried. I only post on this forum (and my own website), so I am not trying to make myself famous or glorify my images in any way. I, too, thankfully have a full time non-photography job.

There is nothing preventing a forumite from right-clicking an image posted ont his forum (particularly in a large format posted by a "sponsor" such as myself) and pass it along to friends and through any number of social media outlets. I have even recently seen one of my images that I posted on this forum eslewhere on the internet. I am perfectly fine with this. All I am attempting to do is provide a reference for someone who views this second or third hand with regard to where this picture came from.

As for signing pictures, this is purely a matter of personal preference. My father (OBM) used to sign his actual images, along with the location and year in which the photo was taken. He also often gave the picture a title (e.g., he gave the title of "Advice" to a picture he took on an African safari of a baby cub cuddling up to his mother with their faces directed toward each other, as if the cub was taking advice from his mother). All of this writing was done in a small area on the bottom corner of the image. It doesn't interfere with the contents of the actual image and one needs to get up close to see it. Not suggesting this is how it should be done. I'm just making this point that this after all is an art form and of course there are really no rules of boundaries in art.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Best, adam

Thanks Michael and Paul for your comments, especially on my crack watermark, on which I have to agree with you. This is still a work in progress for me. Since you were so kind to speak your mind, can I ask what you think about this more subtle alternative?

Now your talking. This is much more subtle and more acceptable.

Paul