The age old debate...

mabbo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rarely do I get to use both digital and film on hired gigs so this was nice to look back at and compare the results...

I know what I prefer :D

Cameras used M3+50 'Cron Rigid & 7D+50mm Zeiss.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Both are very good. I really love that sprig of hair going across her body toward the hand in the color shot. The soft, natural hair and makeup styling is just right for this woman; beautiful without forcing it.

Larry

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Overall I liked the film b/w results from this particular shoot but the client preferred the digital color shots more often than not.

For me it would be the color version converted to b&w. I like that pose more than the first one. I'm curious why so much black space was left at the top of the first image?

fotografr here you go :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My vote is for the color one converted to B&W.

For some reason, Leica shooters tend to appreciate black and white far more than most photographers. Is that because we are connecting with the history or "basics" of photography more? Or is it that we are looking at the artform a different way.

I noticed this not only with other people, but even a transformation with my own photography.

• Like 2

For some reason, Leica shooters tend to appreciate black and white far more than most photographers. Is that because we are connecting with the history or "basics" of photography more? Or is it that we are looking at the artform a different way.

In my case, nothing to do with what you said. ..

Eyes and lips are captured much better in the first B&W take. ..

I would have chosen the first take even if it were in colour !

I'm curious why so much black space was left at the top of the first image?

A friend of mine and fellow photographer loves the use of 'negative space' so I wanted to experiment with it in a few of the shots.

I noticed this not only with other people, but even a transformation with my own photography.

You may be on to something there Dan. By the time I dived in, digital photography was in full swing but I always had an infinity for b/w and film images. This may explain why after starting and working with DSLRs I eventually 'regressed' to using film Leica's for personal use.

In my case, nothing to do with what you said. ..

Eyes and lips are captured much better in the first B&W take. ..

I would have chosen the first take even if it were in colour !

agreed :D

fotografr here you go :D

That one does it for me. Very nice.

Overall I liked the film b/w results from this particular shoot but the client preferred the digital color shots more often than not.

That just proves what we've known all along. Clients are dopes. ;)

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1