Battery for Digilux 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having not been able to locate an actual "Leica" brand battery replacement for the Digilux 1 I resorted to an aftermarket brand and it charges but will not work in the camnera. There are several off brands available stating they work in the Digilux 1 and they all appear to be the correct size but they all specify different voltage and miileampere hours and none match the original Leica specifications. So my question is does the voltage and mAh make any difference since they all claim they work in the camera even though the one I bought did not?

Edited by jimk2000
typos

I use both a Leica and aftermarket batteries in my D1 (and D2) and think the aftermarket battery lasts longer than the Leica. But both don't really seem to last a super long time.

Aftermarket batteries have 1600mAh rather than the Leica's 1400, which should give better performance.

Does the Leica battery work on your D1? If not, sounds like there might be an issue with the camera, rather than the batt.

Christian

Guest D-Lux 6

I have a Digilux-1, but have only used the two original batteries that came with the camera. However, I have a D-Lux 6 now with one original Leica battery and two aftermarket batteries. The milliamperage is different in the aftermarket batteries, and though they work, and last longer than the original, there is a problem. Whenever I use the aftermarket batteries, the first photograph shows up on the SDHC chip as being corrupted data. I've learned to just "waste" the first picture on something non-important, and haven't had another problem. That being said, the manual gives the verbiage about: ""counterfeit batteries' not being adequately protected with internal circuitry." They even go on to say they might result in fire or explosion. I have to wonder if the originals are encoded to work 100% with Leica cameras. As here I realize that this won't help with your plight to find suitable batteries, I'm just throwing it out there that you may eventually find something that works, but maybe not 100%.