Ships baro 1880's

gshay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes__Lietz!

Enjoy

George

• Like 1

Hello George,

Nice photo,

A barometer can be a more acurate predictor of the weather than most weather reports on TV or on the Radio. Once you know how to read it.

I think that because a person can reasonably accurately predict tomorrow's weather today by properly reading a barometer: Barometric pressure has usually been omitted or is made not understandable in its presentation in most weather programming since the beginning of the hyperbolization of weather prediction about 40 or so years ago.

About how wide is your barometer?

Best Regards,

Michael.

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Michael,

It is about 7 inches in diameter, gift from Father in Law many years ago.

Normally one should be hung, but never found the right/proper way of doing this.

Has never been cleaned, so it still has the `character' from long ago. It was on a ship in the Great Lakes.

Thank you for viewing,

George

Cool photo though not to rain on the parade but the cameras are Leitz and the barometer is Lietz.

I know, I know. Spoilsport!

Yes, Ding-dong,

Had this long before you're birth, that is why the point was made it was NOT Leica!

and made in France, Not Germany!

Go read a book, OK?

Finis, Fini, Adieu!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello George,

Your barometer appears to be of the type actually used to predict upcoming weather.

A handy thing to have when you are driving a boat a long distance on water.

You are lucky no one tried to clean or take apart or internally adjust your barometer.

I repair old clocks & some types of old barometers for a living. A substantial portion of repairs that I do are from people who tried to make a small adjustment of something that appeared to be something simple & obvious but turned out to be a simple & obvious something else which has now become a somewhat larger issue.

As I tell people who want to learn to repair old clocks & old barometers: Find someone like me to teach you. The technology & mind set of the time period this came from are often simple. What is wrong & what needs to be done to clean or adjust something may be different than what a person with a mind set from today might perceive it to be.

As objects from another time & another mindset: Their care needs to be based on that earlier mindset.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1