Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Michael,

My shot was from Chester Cathedral; I'm not a big visitor of pay-to-enter religious buildings, sneaked in via the back door on this occasion!

Really nice picutre.

But jeeze .....LOL. Hey, the church needs every quid they can get to keep the Cathedral open.

BTW- how much is it to enter Chester Cathedral?

Kind Regards.

... Can someone comment on the shutter sound. I assume that it is quieter than the M8. Thanks.

Steve, after using the D2 for almost 3 years, I was upset at the shutter sound of the M8. The D2 is so silent that the user has to listen intently or not notice it.

If Leica (Panasonic) were to offer a hardware upgrade with a bigger buffer, I'd go for it. I could like with the shutter lag (external viewfinder provides the workaround), but the 6-second write time for raw's is difficult much of the time.

The lens, tho, is very close to an M lens in character. Great images.

Do any D3 owners feel that that camera has the image quality/look of the D2?

Yes and No ... personally, I prefer the look of the LC1/D2 images but it's hard to compare them directly to the L1/D3 images because the advantages offered by one camera relative to the other change depending upon the circumstances in which they're being used. Also, the L1/D3's image files are 50% larger than the LC1/D2 image files, which means one or the other has to be resampled in order to compare them directly to each other.

But your question has started me thinking about an experiment I should (and will!) perform when I have a little time later this week ... stay tuned.

Do any D3 owners feel that that camera has the image quality/look of the D2?

Yes and Yes.......

1. The Jpegs out of the D2 are superb and usable immediately. The jpegs outs out of the L1 are similar to the D2's. However the JPEGs created by Silkypix from the L1's RAW are much much better.

I need to go back and compare these to JPEGs from the D2 RAW files....now

2. The camera's themselves are interesting. Now that I have my D2 back from the Solms hospital........ it feels light, thin and tin-can like. The L1 feels heavier, solid and like a precision Metallic Precision tool.

Don't get me wrong...... my emotions ..."well up" positively and nostaligically every time I hold the D2 and I think yes, I can use the D2 at the 'right times'...... Whereas the L1 makes me feel ready to take the world on.....anytime

My family have asked me if/when I might sell off one of these superb cameras..... and deep down I keep thinking.....No, they are both excellent image capturers with vastly different 'modus operandi'...... that I need to keep both.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got back from a trip testing the S5, and saw this thread. Some great images here. To the original poster: yes, there is some kind of distinctive look to D2/LC1 images. I owned both. If you look at my site, below, over hald the images there are from the D2/LC1. The other half is from 1Ds and 5D, with Leica and Zeiss's bast glass.

The question: can you easily pick the 5Mp images from the 10+?

I'm a new poster that just got my hands on a near-new LC1 and have also been pretty impressed with the quality of the pics I've seen so far.

Here are two shots of some radio personalities I work with that have made me feel a little more confident in my shooting. Hope you enjoy them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Super shots from you newbies, you have made a great choice- don't be frightened to post in the photo forums!

I second elansprint's comment and request - head for the photo forums!

Today's offering:

It's good at B&W also......

Converted from colour.

It is quite inspiring to see many good examples of D2 photography in one thread.

Mine can not be considered as an image to go together with other high quality work already posted. I join in with my humble sample to to show how different the pronunciation of this interesting camera is.

• Like 2

One from today. :)

The Digilux 2 has a quite exceptional lens. I don't think the Elmarit on the D3 comes near from what I have seen. Everyone seems amazed at the quality from just 5mp. It really is a surprising camera and may well become a true classic.

Anthony, I endorse your views entirely!

I also like the idea of keeping this D2 thread active fulltime as suggested above. It does highlight the enthusiastic community of highly satisfied D2 owners/users. I will post a picture or two in due course.

David

I also like the idea of keeping this D2 thread active fulltime as suggested above. It does highlight the enthusiastic community of highly satisfied D2 owners/users. I will post a picture or two in due course.

David

:D

Keep 'em comin' folks.

Mine can not be considered as an image to go together with other high quality work already posted. I join in with my humble sample to to show how different the pronunciation of this interesting camera is.

I disagree with just about every word here. :D This is a spectacular demonstration of the D2's capability (and also the photographer's). :)

_

fly away...