Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John, yes a while back I posted mine here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/97085-d2-red.html

i love it dearly.

Ah... yes. How could I forget. Very nice. I may still have to have one.

Thanks for the refresher...

JT

John, yes a while back I posted mine here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/97085-d2-red.html

i love it dearly.

That looks gorgeous Dave. I'd love to send my D2 to Camera Leather for recovering but don't think I could possibly manage without it for several weeks. Its part of me now

Nigel

Thank you Peter!

Do you actually perform sharpening with the Digilux jpeg's (in-camera-sharpening set to standard)?

For resizing I use LR with low grade sharpening (optimized for display).

Hi Dirk, I use the low sharpening setting with the Digilux 2. I find it better to perform sharpening afterwards.

Although there is always a certain loss of image quality when a jpeg image is stored again as jpeg, I find it acceptable to optimise and store the images once, as the jpeg images of the camera are really good. For this purpose, I always and only use Photoshop.

Regards, Peter.

Hi Dirk, I use the low sharpening setting with the Digilux 2. I find it better to perform sharpening afterwards.

Although there is always a certain loss of image quality when a jpeg image is stored again as jpeg, I find it acceptable to optimise and store the images once, as the jpeg images of the camera are really good. For this purpose, I always and only use Photoshop.

Regards, Peter.

Considering these discussions can quickly head down a long slippery slope (all sorts of wizardry can be incorporated into sharpening techniques) I think the best advice is to LEAVE the camera settings at their default.

Second, I would urge you to use a non-destructive program such as Aperture or Lightroom for your post processing. Two important aspects of sharpening is that the amount of sharpening is relative to the final output size AND format. In other words, you can sharpen a file for print much more aggressively than a file for web display. Also, it is important WHEN you apply the sharpening... most people will concur it should always be applied LAST. I can't speak for Lightroom, but I do know Aperture applies your adjustments in an optimal sequence.

Keep in mind, unsharpen mask is a process that finds the edges in an image and throws contrast under that edge. The variables are percentage, threshold and radius. If you get over aggressive your image will begin to look "crunchy" at the edges. You will also develop what is called a "halo." Your simply adding contrast to the edge and determining the width of the edge and the depth of the contrast... it's better to a little sharpening twice, than too much sharpening once.

Keep in mind the Digilux 2 files are small... they can't handle a lot of manipulation without beginning to show tell tale signs of you being there. Go lightly.

To address the comment(s) about opening and closing JPEGS, there are a few things to understand.

Opening and closing a JPEG has no ill effect on the image. Opening, editing and closing does. Do it a lot and your really going to begin to see degradation in the image quality. Hence the STRONG recommendation of non-destructive programs.

If you are using Photoshop, open a COPY of your image. If you want to retain a high-quality version of your adjusted image, save it as a TIFF. You can make further adjustments to a TIFF and save future versions as JPEG.

I use a lab that request you submit your JPEGS at a level 10 quality. It is a considerably smaller file and there will be no loss in quality for the lab to open it and print it.

Didn't mean to make this so long-winded. But frankly, it's important information and not information you want to find out two years after you've screwed up a bunch of important memories/files.

JT

misiekbunnik, Welcome to the Forum! It seems that you have found a good D2 with little past usage. From your research you will not be disappointed with the handling qualities, and that Summicron lens is outstandingly good. Enjoy!

Thank you John for your long answer.

Some small remarks of agreement.

... it is important WHEN you apply the sharpening... most people will concur it should always be applied LAST.

Well, I also sharpen the images as the very last step.

If you get over aggressive your image will begin to look "crunchy" at the edges.

Yes, "oversharping" ("überschärfen", as we say in German) leads to ugly results. However, I do not have the impression that the parameters I use are too strong.

Keep in mind the Digilux 2 files are small... they can't handle a lot of manipulation without beginning to show tell tale signs of you being there. Go lightly.

Completely agree. Fortunately, the quality of the D2-jpegs is very good out of the box, so that only mild manipulations are necessary, if at all.

If you want to retain a high-quality version of your adjusted image, save it as a TIFF. You can make further adjustments to a TIFF and save future versions as JPEG.

That's exactly the way I am doing it in such cases.

I use a lab that request you submit your JPEGS at a level 10 quality.

Really? Well, in this case your hint to process only a copy is important. I always store at the highest level 12 after processing. Interestingly, the files are larger after the procedure.

Best regards, Peter.

Peter: The labs position is that they are only going to open and print. So their recommendation is simply a matter of file size. Digital output is usually very happy at about 144dpi. So at a 10 quality, there is not going to be any lossiness or degradation of the image quality. If you notice, the difference in file size from a 12 quality to 10 quality is quite substantial.

JT

Guest Jezabel
Works fine for me in low light.

And I seem to get what I'm shooting at too.

Brilliant camera, great lens. My only complaint is about the noise @ 400, used at 100 or 200ISO it's very good.

Pete - Do you ever shoot in RAW ? I only use 400ASA JPEGS and can't honestly tell any difference at A4 . In bright sunlight even A3 seems ok. Am I missing something important ?

Hi! Some D2 shots from my recent trip to Norway.

Pete - Do you ever shoot in RAW ? I only use 400ASA JPEGS and can't honestly tell any difference at A4 . In bright sunlight even A3 seems ok. Am I missing something important ?

Using Nik Dfine 2 for noise reduction to avoid D2's nasty chroma noise at ISO 400 in a RAW file, the difference is clear on my prints, even at 8x10". The RAW file wins, but not by a huge margin, when compared to an ISO400 JPEG after being treat by Nik Dfine.

Hi cboudier

I take a lot more photographs with the X1 than the D2, The X1 travels with me everywhere just lately, mainly due to its size, high iso and image quality. But the D2 is a great camera and I hope Leica will do a modern day version of it one day.

Keep them coming guys!

This photo reminds me of my RenaultSport Clio i used to back home in Australia, after all D2 is not so slow camera since i only have few seconds to capture this shot before the car took off.

Cyclist in rain.

Cheers

Vlad