Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I dig the tube (valve in UK) amp analogy with the D2 as well.

I design and build tube amps for Hi-Fi and Guitar. I can't design a camera though...:confused:

Here's what I knocked up last week....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Taking a walk in the beautiful region of Siegen in Germany, I saw these two trees standing closely to each other - the right thing for my Digilux 2! :)

Best regards, Peter.

Another image - taken in the small south German town Tübingen. These old buildings above the river Neckar constitute the so-called "Neckarfront". Among the buildings on the very left hand side, you can see the "Hölderlinturm", a small tower where the poet Friedrich Hölderlin lived from 1807 till his death in 1843.

The "Neckarfront" is for sure the most photographed motif in Tübingen, and I also could not resist.

Best regards, Peter.

I design and build tube amps for Hi-Fi and Guitar. I can't design a camera though...:confused:

[ATTACH]204083[/ATTACH]

That's gorgeous.

Can you make one that makes my MP3 player sound worthy of my Classe` 2 channel system running through Anthony Gallo Reference speakers? :)

Nice!

JT

That's gorgeous.

Can you make one that makes my MP3 player sound worthy of my Classe` 2 channel system running through Anthony Gallo Reference speakers? :)

Nice!

JT

Cheers John. I am not familiar with Classe and Anthony Gallo equipment though the Gallo spekers look very sexy.

This power amp was built for my son and is a minimalist two channel 6 watt Class A design using KT66s for use with very efficient speakers like horns or the old floorstanding Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers he just picked up at a bargain price. It still needs a little tweaking to the feedback to flatten the frequency response due to the speakers highly reactive load. But initial tests shows a warm sound with incredible clarity and soundstage - just a little mid and lower treble emphasis at the moment.

We have recently compared MP3s through a good DAC against a budget CD players digital out with the same DAC and the MP3s are definately inferior to our ears.

I fear we are going way off topic here, though the picture was taken with a D2 :)

Nigel

After a long week of anticipating her arrival, my D2 finally arrived today. The previous owner listed her as being in mint condition, and he was not lying....she's pristine!!! As we all probably do when we get a new toy, I walked around the house taking shots of the most random things. The only thing at home that's really worth photographing is my wife, but she's working the night shift tonight so I had to settle for shooting just random things that I could find. To my surprise (although after trolling this forum for the past few months I really shouldn't be surprised), the jpegs out of the camera were awesome. Even though I only took about 100 shots, the B&Ws are the ones that stand out to me the most. I love the grainy look that it produces. Although the SOoC pics were nice, I still did some minor contrast and curve adjustments in LR. I thought that I would share a couple of my shots. I can't wait to take her out this weekend!!!

46352-albums4003-picture4022.jpg

46352-albums4003-picture4023.jpg

* I'm usually able to link my pics from flickr on other forums without a problem, but I'm not able to do so here for some reason. I had to upload it to an album here and then link it to that album. Is there a reason why I can't link from flickr?

Edited by panganibanMD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great to see such enthusiasm for this little camera! You're right, the black-and-whites you posted are both very nice. The idea (and title) of the sculpture is a winner as well! :)

Welcome to the forum. You've got some other very nice Leica shots at the Flickr link in addition!

[ATTACH]204083[/ATTACH]

Im sure it has the same "Leica glow" when its fired up.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

[ATTACH]204083[/ATTACH]

Is this a "Williamson" amplifier ?

I did build one in 1959 !

And the D2 reminds me the Voigtländer I used in those days (in much better !)

Congrats !!

Pol-Alexandre

Is this a "Williamson" amplifier ?

I did build one in 1959 !

And the D2 reminds me the Voigtländer I used in those days (in much better !)

Congrats !!

Pol-Alexandre

No, the Williamson is a higher power push-pull design, this one is a simple single ended stereo, my own design (though actually there is nothing new in valve amp design).

In '59 I was seven years old ;) The Williamson amp was published in 1947 and is a fine design.

After seeing so much, I think Leica should drop the C-Lux and D-Lux lines and just come up with an updated Digilux 2. The camera just need an up-to-date sensor (maybe 4/3 size) and processor to level out the competition.

Wat you think?

On many's wish list for years but probably not doable since an increase in sensor-size would require a redesign of the lens. Change the lens in to a fixed focal length insted... (oh, that's where the X1 is sitting... ).

After seeing so much, I think Leica should drop the C-Lux and D-Lux lines and just come up with an updated Digilux 2. The camera just need an up-to-date sensor (maybe 4/3 size) and processor to level out the competition.

Wat you think?

Therein lies the problem, too many changes and its a different camera. and then we wouldn't have the brilliant f2-2.4 lens, it would have to be much bigger and clumsier for a 4/3 sensor. Just look at the lump on the front of the D3 and thats an f2.8-3.5.

Its fine as it is, to those that appreciate it.

Therein lies the problem, too many changes and its a different camera. and then we wouldn't have the brilliant f2-2.4 lens, it would have to be much bigger and clumsier for a 4/3 sensor. Just look at the lump on the front of the D3 and thats an f2.8-3.5.

Its fine as it is, to those that appreciate it.

Yes, the Digilux 2 is fine as it is.

On the other hand, I could live with a heavier and clumsier lens, if only the sensor and the electronics would get new ones...

This is a thread I remember from 2006 and have been trying to find it in the archives - at last (my username back then was Metroman):

Digilux 2 - in the real world of PJ?

that was the context and from that thread check out the work of Aly Mawji. He used the D2 extensively:

Aly Mawji

Edited by MPerson

This is a 100% crop. The image has been compressed a bit to account for the forum's size limits.

206475d1276023440-sorry-rose-use-p1070116.jpg

Philipp, your rose study has a classical Digilux 2 look. I am beginning to think that, because very few 5mp cameras have survived the competition from numerically superior digital cameras, the D2 now reigns supreme. A lovely flower picture.