Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Old technology? Bah humbug!

D2 | 100 iso | RAW via Lightroom

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some time ago I promised to post a sample picture of a series I took with my Digilux 2. The event was the first ever authorized school performance of the famous musical play Evita. It took place at Dauntsey's school in England late last year. The picture shown here appealed because of the atmospheric lighting.

I used available stage lighting and was limited to my allocated seat in the auditorium. No tripod was possible so I braced myself and gently squeezed the shutter release. Mostly the Vario-Summicron was set at 90mm or thereabouts. Exposure 1/60th f/2.4 ISO400 jpeg (normally I invariably use Raw, but the opportunity to seize shots would have been hampered by the lack of a raw buffer). The silent operation of the D2 caused no disturbance in the auditorium.

For more pictures in the series, please look at my website home page news item on Evita and follow the story and link.

If you go to Hawaii, odd are that your spouse will drag you to Hilo Hatties, where one can buy an oyster with a cultured pearl inside.

Table salt on a towel is used to clean the resulting pearl.

Some handheld D2 shots:

• 4 weeks later...

2 portrets. by digilux 2, inside room and natural light

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also have a 5D which I like a great deal and use for serious fine art shooting. I also have a D7 which is a fun camera to have for carrying in my pocket. The D2; however, remains my favorite! For its focal length, it is fine for much shooting-like the M Series. I learned on the M3 and went forward from that.

The outstanding benefits of the D2 are:

1. The Digital Viewfinder! What a gift! When I was shooting in Death Valley, I could not see the taken image on my 5d because of the ambient light. I now use a Hoodman to take care of the problem; but the the D2; it was no problem. It was wonderful! I made a 12-foot pamorama of the sand dunes which is a killer: tack sharp, wonderful tones. It is also ideal fopr those of us who are visuall challenged and have to wear glasses. Adjust the diopter and you are ready to go and shoot with ease!

2. The grid option in the viewfinder makes keeping verticals accurate and panoramas [for post-work in Photoshop] easy to do properely.

3. Bounce Flash. What an easy way to capture a moment of compromised light and have the results come out looking natural and with ease!

4. The fine-focus option to use when using manual focus. I use this a lot of the time when I want to be certain the focus is spot on...and it works every time. I have made tack-sharp 20x24 prints with no compromise.

The only drawback is the shutter lag. When I was shooting professional tennis and tried the D2, only by knowing the game well and anticipating the next move was I able to get a shot with the "motor" drive.

I tried for some time to send my successful sports images from the Houston Astros baseball and the Mens National Clay Court Tennis Championships to Roger Horn of Leica USA to show him that despite the comment made to me by a Leica representative that "Leica is not for sports" that with care the D2 could do very credible work-work wich I subsequently had published, I might add but there was little positive response. This was a shame because the D2 can do a great deal of things very well.

So yes, I think the D2 is a wonderful camera to have even with its few limitations and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good, general camera.

BTW It can use the Canon Speedlight in its hot shoe for a greater range of flash coverage as well!

Andy Solomon

Houston, Tx

Edited by andrewsolomon
Add an image
  • Like 1

I LOVE my D2 :P I use it for black and white only...it has this "leica" feeling of black and white...very contract, which I like ;) Most time, shooting at ISO 200, but, if I want 3200 film look and feel, I shoot it at ISO 400 :)

I do hate the waiting time when shooting Raw files...takes forever...

The only drawback is the shutter lag. When I was shooting professional tennis and tried the D2, only by knowing the game well and anticipating the next move was I able to get a shot with the "motor" drive.

Andy Solomon

Houston, Tx

Great photos, Andy. Like the colors.

As for the shutter lag, if you point and 'lock' the focus (by pressing the shutter half down) and then anticipate the right moment before you shoot, you should get very little or none shutter lag. The shutter lag is the AF trying to find the focus, and apparently it also has a limit for how long it tries before the camera just shoots. Hence the (many) unsharp pictures.

But true, even with a shutter lag, one can get into the rhythm of anticipating and hitting the right moment. I've tried that with rock photos (rock as in Rolling Stones, not as in mountains are made of).

Edited by overgaardcom

I wonder if Leica ignores all the accolades for this camera because it has a tendency to challenge their flagship models at such a modest price. Could the Digilux 2 be a genuine "Cinderella story" in the Leica family?

And oh, I'm still making this modification/upgrade available for a limited time only.

I wonder if Leica ignores all the accolades for this camera because it has a tendency to challenge their flagship models at such a modest price. Could the Digilux 2 be a genuine "Cinderella story" in the Leica family?

And oh, I'm still making this modification/upgrade available for a limited time only.

ESPRESSO! Now that's what I call an all-in-one. :-)

K.

PS: Here is my 'LC1 distinctive look', B/W via Lightroom+NIK Silverefex:

3476871639_4ff8bb4013_b.jpg

Edited by koray
Added a photo.