Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

51 minutes ago, Rodrigo castillo said:

Just some samples with my Digilux 2 … in 2021 … is a vey old and limitated camera but … at ISO 100 shine

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Excellent colour and definition. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

In a totally informal and sporadic way I sell stock photos.  Since I do not take photos for stock but I take the photos I want to take and then see if they are worth to be sold in stock, I have submitted to review photos taken with any of my cameras, Sony, Canon, Leica M9, Leica X2, Fuji XT2 etc etc and also with the old Digilux 2.  For those who are not familiar with stock photography, usually when presenting a photo there will be an automatic filter of technical quality, noise, focus, basic framing, etc and then if that filter passes it is reviewed by humans to determine if they are commercially worth etc etc ... .  The first time I uploaded a photo taken with the D2 I thought there was no chance that the technical filter would pass due to noise issues….  but no, not only does it always pass, but they are among some of the most commercially successful photos… .. the photos of the D2 in effect even today in 2021 have an inexplicable something.

• Like 7

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Pedestrian tunnel at King's Cross railway station in London.

• Like 19

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 6

For the first time I took one of my Digilux 2 back home to Chaudiere-Appalache/Canada ... I love the way it handles the colours ...

• Like 8

Marseille, France @2021

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the 'age' of the D-lux 2....isn't it understandable that the image might be a bit different than the sharpness, sparkle etc of more current generations? All Digital cameras in those early days(early 2000's) might have a 'look' close to the Lux 2. Am I wrong or are we reading something into the Leica C-lux that might also show in Canon's, Pani's etc..... 

I have seen a few Lux 2's on Ebay and the like and have steered clear just knowing that the digital components themselves have a shelf-life and odds are most have hit it.... jim

Jim

Do steer clear if you feel the need. 

Others have felt the opposite need. If you think that Leica lenses look the same as Canons or other brands, then that's your prerogative.

Some people feel that a movie and the news look different, and for a reason. Not that everything in the world needs to look like the news - super sharp, sparkling, present and the "transparent window look".  Most of the current commercial look is the same - Canon generated flat optics that look great on a scope and in Ikea photos - but let's just say that modern cars all tend towards that perfect aerodynamic shape too - and all look the same as well.

Apart from being among the first to do this, Leica has always stood out from the crowd, and it's that difference we celebrate here. Not to be a part of the Ikea/CNN look, gorgeous though it may well be to some eyes. Not to have AF, OIS, ABC and DEF but just a plain, basic, simple camera that yields superb (to many eyes) photographs.

Yes, the D2 is now in official trouble. I just paid over 200 euros for three (3) new batteries from Germany because none were available here in the USA any more. And maybe my sensor is in trouble as well.

Well guess what. I also own and operate Nikon F's and Leica SL2's, and they're old as well. 

Oh, and I do also have XT-4 and D850 for my day job, as well as D2 and M9 for every day carry, not including Alexas etc for work, so it's not as if I can't afford better than a D2.

The real question is: why D2? Is that Vario Summicron combined with the tiny Sony sensor really special? Can you actually get a sample of a Vario Summicron on any other non-Leica camera for any amount of money, at any time?

That's the question.

We've been discussing this, and sharing our results, for just over 14 years now.

This is an antique (for digital), collector's item camera. Not a modern, latest-spec camera.

So what?

I hear you Chris....no issues with what you say. I love Leica's.... But just had to bring up this topic (as I am surely a latecomer to this topic). All of my old digitals are long gone or done, otherwise I would be tempted to pick up a d2 and give it a try.... jim

3 hours ago, lmans said:

Considering the 'age' of the D-lux 2....

Hi Jim,

Just to be clear so you don't end up with the wrong camera, all pictures in this thread were made with the Digilux 2, not the D-Lux 2, which is a different camera all together.  (Apologies if you already knew this but I'd rather err on the side of your knowing than assume you did and say nothing and you end up with a D-Lux 2 when you actually wanted a Digilux 2. 🙂)

Pete.

• Like 3

I hear ya, Jim!

For work, that's another story altogether. Latest is (Nikon early Z aside) usually the best!

But this here's mainly passion-oriented. Or fun-oriented. Gotta love that Vario-Summicron though - 28-90mm equivalent, macro? On a made-in-Germany camera that costs in the three figures, not in the four or five, once you're done with the lens? Come on! I'm on a work monitor right now (48" diagonal) and the Digilux-2 shots shine just as much as my MF shots do!

I've had folk try to buy some of my Digilux-2 shots and then pass because they actually wanted them mural-sized for hotel poster use - well, not possible, I replied, moment's captured, not repeatable. Sorry, no sale, they said. And no worries, I replied. Glad you liked the shot!

1 hour ago, ChrisRL said:

I've had folk try to buy some of my Digilux-2 shots and then pass because they actually wanted them mural-sized for hotel poster use - well, not possible, I replied, moment's captured, not repeatable. Sorry, no sale, they said. And no worries, I replied. Glad you liked the shot!

It depends how far they stand back doesn't it?  As long as there's enough room ...

Pete.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Saint-Georges, Quebec, Canada

• Like 8

• Like 14