Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We just came back from our nordic skiing trip to Leutasch in Austria. Here are two photographs I took with my Digilux 2.

Best regards, and a Happy New Year, Peter.

I've just plowed through all 15 pages of this most interesting thread.

I, too, have the D2. Got it the moment it came out and sold all my M6 stuff to get it (as I felt parity with film in the digital age had finally occured).

Do I think the D2 has a distinctive look?

A distinctive feel, a distinctive shape, a distinctive way of viewing (which via its grainy, crappy EVF for many just plain sucks), a distinctive sound (almost dead silent)? Yes.

But look? I'm not all that sure. Sometimes yes. But mostly no.

To me, distinctive look falls in the camp of the M's Noctilux optic with its almost dreamlike Bokeh so many have come to prize. The images have a three-dimensional quality that I rarely see from other optics (save for some of the Summicrons and also some Zeiss optics for M's and Nikon). In this thread, while there were many utterly SUPERB images, there was a shot of a snail that came close to yielding that 'distinctive' look I am talking about (and if I recall there was an added optic attached to the Summicron).

But, if the question is, is the Digilux 2 an extraordinary picture taking device? Then my answer is "YES". The images in this thread provide exhaustive evidence of that. I do love using the Digilux 2 for the way it handles, for the way it sees and for the fine images it is capable of producing for such a small sensor.

High in quality, but not all that distinctive except from the way its human user at the other end uses it to see and share what he or she sees with others.

Enjoy these two examples of the D2.

Peter

Whoah. The Thread That Will Not Die. Heh heh. Just shows how special the D2 is (and why there should be a Son of D2).

Here's one taken recently of some children I passed by in a village. Aperture Priority, ISO400, camera B&W mode, no retouching done.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ruhayat - beautiful moment well captured. I love the look of the D2's files at 400 and you can really get a good image out of the RAW file.

Thanks! I love the ISO400 look of the D2, too. In fact, I use mine as if it is a film camera loaded with ISO400 film, preferring to change the shuttter or aperture rather than the 'film'. What continues to amaze me about the D2 is how, when you shoot JPEGs at ISO400 in B&W mode, you don't need to do much retouching -- if at all -- afterwards.

That said, this one, in good light, is a bit 'chunky' and clean for my taste, though... I prefer the look of the D2 images in lower light, when the grain takes on a crumbly texture very much like a charcoal drawing. Lovely. (As an aside, the Ricoh GRD has this crumbly character even more. It, too, has excellent out-of-camera B&W JPEGs, and takes some really gorgeous night-time photos when the conditions are just right...)

I thought I would join in on the fun. Here are a few shots that I don't think would ever have looked like this from any other 5mp camera in the market. They are have been compressed to email sized quality however.

There's nothing quite like the look of the Digilux 2's lens wide open... this one with a little back light... f/2.4 @ 22mm.

JT

John, that's a very, very good picture. I guess I have to practice some more to get such a result.

Is this shot from RAW or original from jpeg?

I have a D2 for approx. 2 months and although most of the pictures I have taken were RAW, lately I prefer the colors of the jpegs; they look more natural.

Best

Roger

John,

that is a great portrait. Looks and feels like the cool shoots of Thorsten Overgaard.

Ralf

hmmm... not sure I'm worthy of being compared to "Lord of the Leica" Overgaard... how do the kids say it? ... He DA MAN!!!!!

But, thank you very much.

JT

John, that's a very, very good picture. I guess I have to practice some more to get such a result.

Is this shot from RAW or original from jpeg?

I have a D2 for approx. 2 months and although most of the pictures I have taken were RAW, lately I prefer the colors of the jpegs; they look more natural.

Best

Roger

This was RAW, back lit and using the onboard flash in bounce mode. The patio we're on was surrounded by yellow painted stucco and the ceiling off white. I was concerned about the WB being to warm... though it wasn't too bad. The big thing was trying not to blow the highlights since we were sitting in the shade.

I enjoy using RAW with this camera... but that is also probably aided by the ease of use in Aperture. There's not a lot of additional processing (work) overhead in the Aperture RAW workflow... so it really makes no difference in that respect.

I think the Digilux 2 provides great JPEG results. However, unlike with my Canon gear, the Digilux 2 is for my personal photos... so processing them is more enjoyable for me.

JT

Even though I gave in last week and bought a Panasonic G1 from Henry's in Canada for $599 plus shipping, I continue to be impressed by the performance of my D2 and can't imagine parting with it any time soon. This was shot last Friday evening at sunset ... pulled into my driveway after a long day, spotted this scene in my nextdoor neighbor's yard, pulled my D2 out of the messenger bag where it lives these days, and snapped off a single shot.