Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a new member here I thought I'd peruse my way around the forum and have a look at some of the work people have contributed- it certainly is amazing! I've got a D2 that I've had for 3 years now- Leicas are well and truly engrained in me as my dad once had the agency in Hobart where I live and owns several. I've just picked up an 8x ND filter and am keeping an eye out for an elpro-D for my D2 should (an affordable!) one pop up.

Here's a little self-portrait I took at a recent motor show to bump the thread a little :)

L1010863.jpg

...i was wondering whether any m8 owners who also own the digi2 have compared the two cameras (perhaps using 28/35/50cron lens on the m8)...meaning, is the digi2 a slightly lower quality m8 costing but 1/6th the cost of an m8 (with the 3 crons)?

I used a Digilux 2 for a couple of years (alongside a M6 and film Nikons). It made some lovely pictures for me but I was glad to trade it when I bought a D200. Now I usually carry a M8.

IMHO the only way it's "a slightly lower quality M8" is the way its image quality often beats other cameras with better specs on paper. In use it's totally different from an M and as far as I'm concerned grossly inferior, thanks mainly to the dreadful electronic viewfinder (both the time-lag and the difficulty of seeing the subject properly in difficult light). But YMMV

I used a Digilux 2 for a couple of years (alongside a M6 and film Nikons). It made some lovely pictures for me but I was glad to trade it when I bought a D200. Now I usually carry a M8.

IMHO the only way it's "a slightly lower quality M8" is the way its image quality often beats other cameras with better specs on paper. In use it's totally different from an M and as far as I'm concerned grossly inferior, thanks mainly to the dreadful electronic viewfinder (both the time-lag and the difficulty of seeing the subject properly in difficult light). But YMMV

...appreciate the reply and fully understand the limitations of the evf as opposed to an r-f system...but wondering about the quality of the digi2 pictures as compared to the m8's...if i recall correctly, a forum member (andy piper?) once compared the then newly released digi2 to the m-lux lenses and rated it just a notch below...hence the question.

The lens is fine , the D2 files are not as robust ( places some limits on PP work), and the dynamic range in the files is below that of the M8 files, obvious in B&W images ........... Having said that the smaller sensor suits the type of B&W image I seek, others prefer a greater range of tones especially in the higher range of the midtones

I am very happy that a month ago I found a D2 with a new sensor. I sold my first D2 when I was "upgrading" for an L1 moved which I always regret. I don't know if they have a distinctive look but my files have a look that I really love... I post these 3 files last week in another thread but here they are again.

Have a great weekend!

Ricardo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Amin, I think that you have got plenty of testimonials for the D2/Pana LC1. The image quality is far superior to anything else at that pixel count and also superior to many other camera's even now of far greater pixel counts.

I know that I shall be devastated if anything ever happens to mine so that I can't use it any more. It has been twice around the world with me and across Europe many times, so it's a tough little camera too.

I wonder how long it will be before another manufacturer realises that the D2 concept is exacly what a lot of keen photographers really want and produce something like it again.

Come on Pana/leica, give us a real treat again, combine the wonderful Leica Summicron with a good modern sensor and process engine, a better viewfnder and RAW buffer and it will be a winner!

...and mine :-)

If Leica instead of offer non-sense upgrades to the M8 owners like sapphire crystal displays could offer a sensor upgrade to the D2 more than one will get it. I don't know about electronics so I wonder if it is impossible to replace it for a better one. Maybe a third party company?

Last week-end, I was on nordic skiing in Switzerland, and I had my DL 2 with me. :)

hi all, also a new leica user here. got my D2 some time ago, but haven't got the time to post some pics of the interesting D2 look. i used a powershot G6 in the past and waited for a good, mint condition D2 and finally got it a few months ago.

from the early shots until now, i'm really happy to say that the D2 look IS there. apologies for not being able to describe how different it is, compared to my G6, and other friends' DSLRs but something is just there (makes me remember of an old article in B&W Magazine: is the Leica glow really exist? :)

chiamad,

"Leica low" or not, I like very much the raw files I get from my D2, besides I love the camera itself, its handling, its design... a camera I love to carry everywhere. use it, enjoy it, and get your own "chiamad glow" with it... a few messages above I posted 3 of my latest D2 pics, (tell me if you like them)

Regards,

Ricardo

So the thread is still running, & regarding D2/LC1 vs. M8 viewfinders we may ad that the former has an accurate framing with a loose vision (requires both eyes wide opened), while the later is on the contrary (what gets you to the same thing). Fusion of all good components might give a good result in the future.

Regards,

Jeno

hi Ricardo,

Yes, I also love the handling of D2. Always bring it along to all my business trip. Still learning how to create that 'glow' now ...:o

As for the pictures, Pic 1 has a very good details while Pic 2 is taken with an interesting angle (I liked her expression too; the smile comes out naturally). The one I liked best, is pic 3 actually (black rendition on your cooper is the one i'm really fascinated).

Just got this one from a biz trip to Osaka two days ago - comments/critics are highly appreciated.

Thanks and have a good weekend to everyone,

Dom

• 2 weeks later...