Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe the trick is to buy one that's within the affected range so repairs will be free rather than buy one outside the range so that repairs won't be necessary?

it is if its a D2, but then we don't know the affected serials, for LC-1, Panasonic want you to pay. I don't think they charge you all they could, they have been looking for a contribution of $160 or something.

I would use the camera for interiors, all slow ASA settings and long exposures on tripod. I do not need fast writng to disc. I also like composing on the LCD screen. What quality would I get? Tony

Tony,

This is where the D2 starts singing. Especially in available natural low light. Highly recommended.

Can I get an A3 50mb image from the camera? that would be usable for use in a quality magazine/book print? Any imput re experience of publication of images. Tony

Yes, you can print very high quality A3 images of D2 for display work.

Regarding magazine publication; Yes again. I did publish several D2 images up to full page blow ups. (22x28.5cm). And even 3/4 double page spreads. (33x28.5cm).

However for routine magazine publication work I would recommend a camera with an APC size sensor. But, then you might lose the essence of D2 poetism.

And one more thing. We did a cover photo from a D2 output also. It is in the next post.

Best wishes...

An example of a full page used D2 image.

Kanyon Shopping Mall Istanbul

f/8, 1/500, ISO100, 28mm(equiv.)

In camera High JPEG resized and saved for web. No post processing. No sharpening.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I second elansprint's comment and request - head for the photo forums!

Today's offering:

It's good at B&W also......

[ATTACH]32305[/ATTACH]

Converted from colour.

Hey! The Magere Brug! :) You had to stand on a houseboat for this angle I suppose?

This is a cover photo of VIZON Magazine January 2005 issue.

Photographer: Senol Altun

I apologize for the jpeg quality. This is absolutely not the forum standard. It is taken from the magazine's web site.

V I Z O N

Great thread! One thing that I've been meaning to experiment with is black and white with the D2. And not B&W from the camera, B&W as processed by Adobe Lightroom.

Martin Evening's book "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book" has some very good info on why B&W should be shot in color then processed with LR's really good B&W controls. Seems to me the D2 "look" as represented here would lend itself perfectly to this approach...

-ddog

Guest Farkas

They do, they do!

I got mine from Hong Kong, one of the first shipments, the DMC LC-1 (budget, black outfit, grip, sorry Leica but everything was in Pana's favour), and never regretted it. Thousands of exposures and still works like a pony in a treadmill. No cosmetic flaws, except the top and bottom corners wore off (like old black Leicas do, except it's not brass that shines through, and the hotshoe looks blackish, tarnished, smudgy.

As to the sensor, mine gave in after Xmas 2006, upon landing in Bombay, the start of a two-month trip to India. I put it down to bad karma as I hadn't learned about the faulty ccd batch before. Now I do but I still blame my karma. There you go. I was lucky, though, (good karma kicks in) as a well-meaning repair person at Panasonic Hungary fixed it for some 60 Euros, as if I had the warranty valid. The original quote for the replacement ccd was cca. 500 Euros. Ouch. I'd rather have opted for using it as a nice paper weight. But it was fixed, good as new, thanks to my wife's smile, and the benevolence of that customer care guy. The reason could be that only a handful maniacs bought this camera in Hungary, less than a dozen I suppose.

Concerning the original thread: I can't put my finger on it but there is THAT look. Relaxed, full of air and space. Might be noisy at higher ISO (forget 400!, max 200 in extreme dark) but even then the dignity of the image is there. Canon/Nikon dslr photos might be crispier but they mostly feel 2D to my taste.

Here's a sample of the latest pix. I'm still compiling my shots into a site, will post when ready. Happy shooting.

Southern Flavour - Page 1

Great thread! One thing that I've been meaning to experiment with is black and white with the D2. And not B&W from the camera, B&W as processed by Adobe Lightroom.

Martin Evening's book "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book" has some very good info on why B&W should be shot in color then processed with LR's really good B&W controls. Seems to me the D2 "look" as represented here would lend itself perfectly to this approach...

-ddog

What I pretty well always do .......

• Like 1

But then on occasions the D2 can produce good direct B&W jpegs. This direct jpeg from the London get-together at ISO 400

That's the thing I want to hear, Bill. I just bought one. I love the look of the images I've seen, mine is due in Friday. I bought it from a long time Leica broker, Ken Hansen.

I have a Nikon D1x and a D70, but there are times when I want to go light.

Regards,

Ed

• 2 months later...
Guest Metroman

Yesterday, for the third time, I had a try out with the M8 and have decided I really do not need one. My D-Lux 2 is under threat from a the Ricoh GR Digital but that is another story.

I am more than happy with my D2 and with that thought in mind I feel a thread revival coming on........

D2 | ISO 100 | f3.6 | 1/125 | via Lightroom

St Martin's Church, Ruislip - built 14th Century

another image directly from camera ... :)

Carl, that is an awesome shot!

I was wondering about the Leica case - model 18627. Anyone have an opinion about this case? I have read both good and bad opinions.

Amin,

I think I must be one of the few photographers who really likes the Leica case. My D2 lives in it but occasionally joins other kit in one of my selection of Lowepro cases when assignments need more than one camera. The official case is very well made, is protective and not too big. Initially I found the double zip could catch the camera on entry or removal. But I quickly adapted my technique. It has become more supple now and I have no trouble with scratching. I thought it was good value for money.

David

.......my angel.......

• Like 1