Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering about the Leica case - model 18627. Anyone have an opinion about this case? I have read both good and bad opinions.

I haven't checked the number but I bought the original Leica case when I bought my D2. It generally lives in that case except when it joins other kit in a bigger bag.

The original Leica case is extremely well made and is very protective. You get used to easing the camera out between two parallel zips. But, with care, it works. Get one if you can.

David

This is all great feedback, and there are some wonderful images in this thread.

Do those of you who shoot B&W with the D2 find that it is best accomplished by shooting in color and postprocessing to B&W, or do you get excellent results with the in-camera B&W?

Another question - does the Leica black leather case for the D2 provide some good protection?

Amin,

If you shoot JPEG:

In camera B&W images of D2 has a unique character and are excellent for me.

If you shoot RAW:

the JPEG monitor image is B&W, the original RAW image is untouched color, You can try your personal B&W post processing as you wish.

yes it does

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

David, thank you for the information about the case. It sounds like a winner to me, though I can see how the zippers might be daunting.

Kamil, I appreciate the information about B&W JPEGs and RAW. When you shoot RAW, is the JPEG also saved to the card, or is it only for the monitor?

Here are a couple that I have shot. Hopefully they will show.

GaryO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

David, thank you for the information about the case. It sounds like a winner to me, though I can see how the zippers might be daunting.

Kamil, I appreciate the information about B&W JPEGs and RAW. When you shoot RAW, is the JPEG also saved to the card, or is it only for the monitor?

Saved. Acts as a guide for post processing as well as a light copy for instant casual printing for me.

My Digilux 2 started giving me bad images, then just died. Thanks to this forum, I learned about the extended warantee. I shipped mine back to New Jersey and got it back yesterday. They replaced the CCD, cleaned it, and shipped it back overnight. My digital needs will be met for a while longer. I'm glad I lurk here.

Guest stnami

The D2 is quite a camera, I am rough as shit with my gear and now it comes out of the closet for occassions like the Gay and Lesbian Parade:rolleyes: ..................... It actually got a new lease of life with Alien Skin's Blowup application getting better prints now

From Imants: 'The D2 is not bad......Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras ...'

I was perusing this thread in a self-satisfied D2-owning sort of way until I was jolted out of my complacency by Imants's slide show of the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras procession. Imants, that is staggeringly good. Especially when you consider the shutter lag (undeniable) and the poor (alleged) low light performance. Like everyone else here, I have been more than pleased with my D2 but I now realise that I've hardly been scratching the surface of its capabilities. OK, you were blessed with natural exhibitionists for subject matter, but even so...

All the best,

Chris

p.s. Off-topic, and forgive my ignorance, but why the distinction between gays and lesbians? I thought the word 'gay' was non-gender specific? Aren't lesbians gay?

Guest stnami
p.s. Off-topic, and forgive my ignorance, but why the distinction between gays and lesbians? I thought the word 'gay' was non-gender specific? Aren't lesbians gay?
...... come to Sydney for the 30th anniversary next year and ask the Dikes on Bikes:eek:

Guest stnami
You and your D2 need to be in New York City's Greenwich Village for the Halloween parade
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I could live with that.

The beauty of the Sydney parade is that the organisers give you heaps of flexability and you can shake your head at the Dikes on Bikes and say to them diretcly that there is a waste of talent there ............well from the perspective of a hetrosexual male,,,,,,,,, but they still love you for it

True, but it's 28mm on a 16:9 format, which makes the FOV somewhat less when it's cropped to match the LC1/D2's native 4:3 format.

Apples-to-apples, the LC1/D2 is able to capture a noticeably wider FOV than the FX01/C-Lux 1...

I stand corrected: It's the LX1/D-Lux 2 and LX2/D-Lux 3 that offer 28mm on a 16:9 format. The FX01/C-Lux 1 are 28mm on a 4:3 format, hence they offer a similar FOV to the LC1/D2 ... got them mixed up in my mind as I had my LX1 and LC1 with me at work when I wrote this and the C-Lux 1 at home. Comparing them again this morning, I realized my mistake.

Especially when you consider the shutter lag (undeniable) and the poor (alleged) low light performance.

The shutterlag is deniable. The only thing you have to do is switch off AF and it becomes pretty fast. this thread seems to have exploded the myth of poor low-light performance rather effectively...

duitsland1205-087-after1.jpg