Met someone on the street with the new S

Archiver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was out doing some shooting in the CBD yesterday, and amidst the many people toting Canons, Nikons, Sony NEX and Olympus cameras, I noticed a fellow with a very large black camera. I blinked and realized that he was carrying what looked like a S2. I've never, ever seen one in the wild before, so I had to stop and talk to him.

He said that it wasn't the S2, but the S, with the 70mm Summarit. He got it in February and was extremely happy with it. A fairly young guy, he said that he used it for travel, and not for work! He noted the M9 in my hands and remarked that he had one, too. I asked him if he had the new M, and he said no, but he was waiting for it. And he suggested that instead of the new M, I should get a S: "the images are so much better", he said.

It puts another perspective on things, certainly. On numerous occasions people have made remarks about the cost of my M9, which was admittedly an extravagant purchase. But here was a young guy with his girlfriend, walking around an art gallery in the City and enjoying himself with a brand new S.

Has anyone seen a S or S2 in the wild, as it were? This surprised me just as much as when I saw someone carrying a Red Epic in minimal kit form, shooting the Christmas lights in a local street.

• Like 1

Would love to get the Leica S but I'll be looking to get the new M as a carry-everywhere filmmaking camera, so that's where my money is going. I'll be using it as my main still photography camera too of course but when it's engaged in video mode, I've still got my M8.2 for stills.

I have a Scarlet but it costs too much in weight and memory requirements for everyday shots.

• Like 1

Seen one in captivity @ B&H... the blasted thing is ENORMOUS.

Sadly, never seen one in the wild, or another leicaflex in the wild either. They must be fairly rare cameras. I do wonder though, how does his g/f feel when he pixel-peeps at shots of her... :D

Jason

• Like 1

Seen one in captivity @ B&H... the blasted thing is ENORMOUS.

Sadly, never seen one in the wild, or another leicaflex in the wild either. They must be fairly rare cameras. I do wonder though, how does his g/f feel when he pixel-peeps at shots of her... :D

Jason

A pair of wedding photographers saw mine "in the wild" at a wedding I attended last summer. One commented "nice camera!" while I was trying to be discreet and stay out of their way. I've got a couple patches of black gaffer's tape on it now so maybe it won't be as noticeable.

Should there be a rule that girlfriends and wives will be photographed with a soft lens? :)

A pair of wedding photographers saw mine "in the wild" at a wedding I attended last summer. One commented "nice camera!" while I was trying to be discreet and stay out of their way. I've got a couple patches of black gaffer's tape on it now so maybe it won't be as noticeable.

Should there be a rule that girlfriends and wives will be photographed with a soft lens? :)

Nope, I'm quite the opposite. I got my g/f into photog with some ADOX CMS 20 and a nikon f/1.2 AIS 50mm. First she HATED it, then she saw the shots and now she LOVES it.

(Now, to convince her i need a macro lens :D and an R8 / R9)

Jason

I have my S2 on eBay and the 70mm lens too. At a very low price I might add. Cost me $8K for the 300 actuations I put through it, if I do sell it. Oh well, such is life. Makes up for the gains I made selling my old Leica collectible stuff.

I've been walking around the streets with one bouncing around on my hip for nearly three years. No one really pays much attention to what you are shooting with ... unless they're into gear. In the end, it's not that much different than walking around with a DSLR and a zoom.

• Like 3

Saw an S2 in the wild today as I walked to my local supermarket. (Whitecross Street, London) I did not stop to ask what lens - but it looked like the 70mm. It was being used.

It's not the first time I've seen one being used, either.

• Like 1

PS. Where does one get a second hand S..? I hardly see one on eBay.

I have only seen one that this chap was keeping it under cover here in Melbourne.

He actually was kind enough to let me hold it for a few seconds,don't know if he has still got it.

Personally I think Leica should have made the R10, I would have bought one by now.

Ken.

• Like 3

I have only seen one that this chap was keeping it under cover here in Melbourne.

Under cover? Doesn't he use it?

He actually was kind enough to let me hold it for a few seconds

You make it sound like the S2 is something like this:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3600000/Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-indiana-jones-3677972-1280-720.jpg

Don't know, ask Alan Lane of Camera lane here in Melbourne, he might have more information

He knows the guy.

Ken.

I can't. I have promised myself that I will not go in and talk with either of them at Camera Lane until I'm well and truly ready to plunk down that $500 deposit for the new M.

There will be no premature deposit-plunking as I would be very tempted to do if I were to walk into the store.