M(240) SD speeds

Still waiting for mine, so I cannot say if the hardware supports faster writing (but judging from the S2 I think it does). But at least try higher-quality cards (Panasonic Gold or Gold Pro) - at the least the first firmware generation seems to be picky again - no reason to cut costs here.

Can the M benefit from the higher read/write speed

It probably would if you intend to use video or take pictures in "C" mode (although the size of the camera buffer is likely to be the most important factor in this regard). Not sure it would make much difference for single pictures.

I have used 30, 45 and 90 MB/s cards - all Sandisk - with no issues so far. But I don't use video or the continuous mode.

I've been told that in the FAQ for the M it says that as long as the card can read/write above 30MB/s then it will be fine and there will no performance gains in-camera for speeds greater than that. Obliviously with a card reader and transferring images will be quicker but for shooting no- according to this Leica FAQ.

I agree not to skimp on quality- but to pay double for a card that is faster which the camera can't even take advantage of is probably a little silly. The 64GB Extreme Pro is over £100 whereas the Extreme 64GB is £50 and the max speed of this is 45MB/s so should be ample.

I use 16 GB cards for the M240 (8 GB are amply sufficient IMO for the M8/M9) - more than enough for pictures and minimizes the pain in case of card failure or loss.

Of course, if extensive video usage is your thing, the larger the capacity the better.