M8 Feature Options

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would kill for on-the-fly exposure compensation and ISO. There is nothing worse than pressing set, then arrow buttons, then set again. Half the time I fail to make the change because I'm on the shutter button too fast.

Epson R-D1 got that feature right.

Agree 100%. Exposure compensation is too many steps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest sirvine

Leica could program the arrow buttons in a way that would make ISO and EC available on the fly--right/left goes up and down the ISO scale, up/down goes up and down EC scale.

The only one I don't care for is #6. I really don't want to be forced into coding my lenses, but I also don't want any more blinking lights in a M camera. I know all my lenses are uncoded, I don't need the camera telling me what I already know.

I agree with Marc here. Please don't put this option on since I also like my lens to be uncoded.

-Son

Guest tummydoc

1. Lens selection option "in menu"

I thought Leica are adamant they will not do so, as a means of protecting us from our own ineptitude.

6. To code the camera so changing lenses causes an LED to blink if the lens is NOT coded, until you go to the lens menu, or hit a button to cancel the warning.

No thank you! One of the most despicable attributes of the M7 is the infernal blinking light whenever DX is deselected. Having to push a button to cancel it would have been simply an added step to disengage an unnecessary feature.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are two firmware-possible features I would like to see:

• Permanent exposure biasing. When using Tri-X (ISO 400) for example, we could set a different exposure indes, such as 320 or 500, to suit our metering and exposure habits. It would be convenient to have this in the M8, where we are slaves under the decrees from Solms. Many users think that the basic EI of 160 is really 200, e.g. – But there's the Exposure Compensation! is the reply. No. This is intended as a temporary change (and it is pretty useless in any case). If you would use it permanently on, you would have to contend with that infernal blinking dot ALL THE TIME, which drives me shaking bananas.

• Auto bracketing. When 'on' the camera fires one frame right on by the meter, one under and one equally over. Most pros used to bracket their shots on slide film. The increments settable (+/– 1/3 – 2/3 f-stops maybe) in the 'set'menu.

The old man from the Age of Kodachrome I

I have the 90mm APO Summicron for both the DMR and the M8. What would you have to use for a test target? I have an IT8 target. Will that do?

Steve, the Pre-ASPH Lux-M 50 and the present Lux-R 50 will also be good candidates. I also have both DMR and M8 systems but no equivalent lense.

-Son

Guest guy_mancuso
There are two firmware-possible features I would like to see:

• Permanent exposure biasing. When using Tri-X (ISO 400) for example, we could set a different exposure indes, such as 320 or 500, to suit our metering and exposure habits. It would be convenient to have this in the M8, where we are slaves under the decrees from Solms. Many users think that the basic EI of 160 is really 200, e.g. – But there's the Exposure Compensation! is the reply. No. This is intended as a temporary change (and it is pretty useless in any case). If you would use it permanently on, you would have to contend with that infernal blinking dot ALL THE TIME, which drives me shaking bananas.

• Auto bracketing. When 'on' the camera fires one frame right on by the meter, one under and one equally over. Most pros used to bracket their shots on slide film. The increments settable (+/– 1/3 – 2/3 f-stops maybe) in the 'set'menu.

The old man from the Age of Kodachrome I

Lars with digital you can't do that with exposure biasing . If you set ISO 400 it will shoot at ISO 400 because there is no set speed like there is for film emulsion. Tir-x is ISO 400 digital is no speed rating. The only way around this is EV compensation to make the camera intentionally under or over expose. There simply is not a set speed for digital . Which in reality makes it great because one frame can be ISO 160 and the next ISO 2500. So the only real way like you want to do is Exposure comp setting

Guy,

Not sure if you are still receptive to suggestions, but here's one. I'd like to see the exposure lock become less sensitive or even moved to a separate button behind the shutter release on the top back of the body (like Canon does). The current system yields too many accidental releases.

John

Guest guy_mancuso

That maybe a hardware issue and we may have to wait for a M9 . Unless you can set the firmware up on a button but there is really nothing near the thumb area that would be more Canon like.

I think that is a question of getting used to, John. I had this for the first few weeks, now - never. I noticed btw that the shutter release got a lot smoother over time. Obviously it needed to run in; anybody else share this experience?

Guest guy_mancuso

Myself i sort of always have the shutter at that second stage when i shoot than release and get a new exposure for another shot. Might be worth trying something like that

I'm sure Leica says they are open to user ideas, but being as conservative (ie read old world German and slow to warm to change) a company as they are, how willing they would be to implement major changes to the operating system is in question.

Esp as major changes would make the instruction manual already included with M8 outdated and I'm sure there's lots major handwringing about that with certain powers that be inside the company.

So I think that beyond image improvement and minor changes to what already exists function wise, it will be unlikely we see things such as lens menu, changes in setting iso/ev, 16 bit, etc etc. At least until the M9. Because it might be "complicated or dangerous for the user" or some such drivel if the changes aren't properly documented in the user manual. Pandering to the amateurs (like celebrities who can't remove lens caps) vs trusting the user.

My 2 cents.

Guest guy_mancuso

Charles you make a good point but they want the M8 to be a huge success before they even think about moving on and they ARE very interested in these ideas.

Charles you make a good point but they want the M8 to be a huge success before they even think about moving on and they ARE very interested in these ideas.

I'm sure they are INTERESTED, but I'm not holding my breath as far as actual implementation. I think using the back controls for changing iso/ev is one of the best ideas on here, but I'm sure it's the creatives vs the marketers as in any company (and the marketers unfortunately most often having the last say).

I doubt we'll see an M9 for at least 3-4 years or more. The M8 is a success - I'm sure they're debating mucking that up by making too many changes that aren't documented in the box for the new owner.

Esp as major changes would make the instruction manual already included with M8 outdated and I'm sure there's lots major handwringing about that with certain powers that be inside the company.

Charles,

That would give them an excellent opportunity to correct some of the crass errors and poor grammar in the English translation.

Wilson

I am actually getting pretty happy with the camera. I would like the last button glitches ironed out, AWB and exposure metering to improve, and for it to be quieter. 16-bit files would be an option I would love to try. Other than that, it is all small stuff for me, except that the WATE is too fiddly to use.

Leica could program the arrow buttons in a way that would make ISO and EC available on the fly--right/left goes up and down the ISO scale, up/down goes up and down EC scale.

Last fall, I recommended some firmware changes that would make for faster and better access to ISO and EV settings. I'm told that they're coming but I don't know when.

Cheers,

Sean