M8 Feature Options

Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have "explained" nothing (Another joke?). I seriously doubt you even can read properly, or maybe you are insulting by fun. But not to me George. Look for another one. Go to play elsewhere. You are what is known as a troll. You jumped in there and here saying nothing, arguing nothing and contributing with nothing. Well, you know...

I ask for a non-linear encoding solution that saves space and processing/storing/writting time. It is a great idea. A 16-bit file doesn't need any encoding like this, and it is unnecessary in the sense of unique valid alternative to non-linear 8-bit encoding. The discussion is about the optimal level of that non-linear encoding solution. Scott says 10 or 12 bits encoding and storing would take more time. I argue that it is true in absolute terms, for that particular set of operations, but maybe not true in relative terms (it would have a moderate marginal impact in the total processing/storing time). I hope this is clear now to you.

Ruben, you are becoming personal. And hysterical. I am not about to lower myself to your level.

Thanks, Guy. This list is shaping up nicely.

...and lose the 10-bit stuff. Optional 16 bits Leica can relate to; 10 bits will have them ROTFLTAO.

I agree. When I would bother to switch from the current quite excellent DNG format (which would be rarely), just give me the same-as-DMR 16 bits (yes, even if only 14 of those bits are really useful) and be done with it.

4 they are already doing.

I agree with Scott again. My coded lenses give accurate max aperture and FL in EXIF fields, so also having the lens EXIF field say "Summilux" doesn't much matter to me. It's a nice thing, but it doesn't help me shoot, organize, or remember anything that isn't already in the file. At the very least, this shouldn't be number four on the list, please push it down nearer the list end.

5 should be optional b/w review, without having to write JPEGs.

I think that is well put, and it seems good to avoid asking for any particular interface. I think the black and white review is much more useful than an EXIF tweek, so please, please, please move it up to number four (at least four---it is, in fact, number one for me)!

Thanks,

--clyde

Guest guy_mancuso

1. Lens selection option "in menu" Generic 15, 21,24,28,35 otherwise with coding it is automatic regardless of setting

2. Optional 16 Bit setting like the DMR or better option

3. EV/ISO option with controls of either arrows or wheel , protect or set buttons. Whatever is fast and confirmed. Idea flash in VF what was set when confirmed

4. B&W optional b/w review, without having to write JPEG

5 Warning of non coded lens

5. Full name of lens in EFIX data sample 50mm summilux 1.4 as it is read by the coding

7. 15mm F4, 24mm 1.4 or F 2 , 28 1.4 ( some really fast wide angles )and than a line of lenses like the 28 2.8 that will be less costs like a 75 2.8 , 90 2.8 or think about 1.33 image circle digital specific lens

8 SDNC compatable or new standard This is not a leica call per say but industry standard

9 Travel charger smaller

Okay revised a little. Need a blessing. LOL

On the 10 bit v 16 bit 'discussion'. This is not an engineering or programmers forum, it's a photographers forum. Leica should get feeback on matters photographic from the photographers on this forum. Hashing out the merits of various programming algorithms or engineering solutions here is wildly off topic. We may as well start aguing about Leica's bookeeping methods or start giving them legal advice.

M8 photographers are wondering if in compressing the information something isn't being lost. Or if under some special circumstances the uncompressed info might be useful. And if its possible to have access to that data as an option as the DMR made it available. A reasonable request. The engineering bits I'll leave to Leica.

1. Lens selection option "in menu" Generic 15, 21,24,28,35 otherwise with coding it is automatic regardless of setting

3. EV/ISO option with controls of either arrows or wheel , protect or set buttons. Whatever is fast and confirmed. Idea flash in VF what was set when confirmed

5. Full name of lens in EFIX data sample 50mm summilux 1.4 as it is read by the coding

7. 15mm F4, 24mm 1.4 or F 2 , 28 1.4 ( some really fast wide angles )and than a line of lenses like the 28 2.8 that will be less costs like a 75 2.8 , 90 2.8

8 SDNC compatable or new standard This is not a leica call per say but industry standard

9 Travel charger smaller

Okay revised a little. Need a blessing. LOL

Guy,

I thought your first post in this thread was already perfect, but this updated list is great as well :D

Thanks

Guy

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think this list captures it pretty well and i hope the members thoughts also. If i said it wrong correct me , please. Like to send to Germany tonight. There is one have have to reword for sure but i can't talk about that one online right now but not to worry it will be the same anyway:D

Guy,

One more thing that just hit me as I was out photographing in bright light would be the option for a full screen playback with clipping warnings. I couldn't see the clipping for the life of me in that tiny window (esp as the subject had red in it). Always thought that was a bit strange to not have seperate full screen histogram and clipping warnings. Flashing warnings would be nice too.

Or maybe I'm missing something and there's already a way to do that (full screen I mean)?

Guest guy_mancuso

Just keep going off the latest list

6. Full name of lens in EXIF data sample 50mm summilux 1.4 as it is read by the coding

7. 15mm F4, 24mm 1.4 or F 2 , 28 1.4 ( some really fast wide angles )and than a line of lenses like the 28 2.8 that will be less costs like a 75 2.8 , 90 2.8 or think about 1.33 image circle digital specific lens

9 Travel charger smaller

Okay. Maybe late 2007 go around on that one then! It's the one thing I miss from my D200 is that quick "scream" of clipping warning (the full screen flashing on clipped highlights). Might keep some of the clipped highlighs/need for 10/12/14/16 bits threads on here to a minimum (LOL).

Best of luck with the list you got.

"You get the camera you have, not always the camera you want or would like to have." Ha!

Guest guy_mancuso
Okay. Maybe late 2007 go around on that one then! It's the one thing I miss from my D200 is that quick "scream" of clipping warning (the full screen flashing on clipped highlights). Might keep some of the clipped highlighs/need for 10/12/14/16 bits threads on here to a minimum (LOL).

Best of luck with the list you got.

"You get the camera you have, not always the camera you want or would like to have." Ha!

Charlie it's in 1.092 . I get full LCD image clipping shown

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, don't forget a stiffer power switch, with clear detents.

That's hardware not much we can do there except if it has to go in you can request they tighten that up. May want to check with a service center on this to be sure

Charlie it's in 1.092 . I get full LCD image clipping shown

Guy,

how do you get that?? I dont get it with 1.092 on any of the histogram settings, and I cant see any other menu item that would change it!? (auto review off). I must be missing something (nothing new there...)

Guy

ps, forgot, Doh, full screen histogram please!!

Guest guy_mancuso

No full screen histo but full screen clipping highlights. I'm pretty sure it is 1.092, not running .092 at the moment . I think it was fixed in .092.