SF 58 Flash

sm23221

It is the same size of competitor.

It looks too large for M9 is small, but if you need a bounce flash, SF58 does a great job.

Get also a Nikon cord for firing the flash off camera.

Franco

• Like 2

great, controllable, powerful bounce flash with fill. i have two which i use off-camera with radio triggers. everything fits neatly in a hadley pro so i find it very convenient where lugging around & setting up larger strobes would be overkill. i'm more mobile & less invasive as a result. used on-camera it is a little bulky but still do-able, with great results. can't complain.

• Like 1

It's quite a big powerful flash which inevitably makes it a bit unwieldy on an M9, you can almost feel the strain on the hot-shoe mounting screws. I haven't had problems with TTL exposure accuracy except perhaps when the flash is reaching its smallest flash output. The front facing flash is welcome and the optional diffuser helps tame it.

Inevitably, there's better value to be had elsewhere and I find Nikon flashes work well in auto mode though I like the integration of camera and flash which you only get with TTL metering.

As with any new piece of equipment be sure to practice a lot with it!

Let me quantify my first statement a little bit. The Olympus flash that I use on my M9 is much smaller than the SF-58 and still has enough output to be used as a bounce flash at medium aperture settings in moderately sized rooms. The SF-58 is very big on top of the M9 hotshot. I think you just have to try it out for yourself.

The results I got with TTL when I used the flash indirectly as a bounce flash varied wildly from shot to shot. If you are used to TTL on a Nikon DSLR, don't even bother. I really believe that the SF-58 is a better fit for the S2. I was mainly disappointed because I believed that if I spend the premium amount on the dedicated Leica flash I would get everything I wanted.

If you do want to go the SF-58 route, there is a used one to be had from popflash at the moment.

The Leica grip helps control things with the SF-58 in the camera's flash shoe, but the balance is still awkward. I've been experimenting with alternative mounting options discussed in this thread.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other-leica-products/275252-tilt-swivel-sf-24d.html

My goal is to find an SF-58 mounting solution that is reasonably well-balanced, but does not add significant weight or bulk to my M9.

Edited by Luke_Miller

Here is my current setup.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

If anyone from Leica is listening: it might be the right time for a smaller flash unit somewhere in between the SF-24 and SF-28 with tilt and swivel control. Also, maybe a really small cube unit that gives just enough output for an eye light or a shot wide open at night. Kind of like the ones that are built in for many cameras. I think this would be a nice addition to my travel kit for the occasional emergency.

• Like 1