18mm Viewfinder

zanydave

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if this has been brought up before but, looking to purchase an 18mm viewfinder to use with my 18mm super-elmar.

I have no hands on experience of the Leica or Zeiss version. I have read a couple of reviews but, does anybody here have advice on which would be the best way to go?..

Thanks in advance.

If size matters (and not money) the Leica viewfinder is very unobtrusive, so that I often leave it on the camera even if I changed the lens. The sight of the Leica finder is good, though it has the framelines for 24mm as well to use it on the M8. I find those 24m lines a little bit annoying .

The Zeiss finder is much bigger and much more square. Though I think the view is better than for the Leica finder - and though its not cheap, compared to the Leica its a bargain.

Hi Dave. Tried Zeiss first and while it had advantages like size returned it and went with Leica.

Zeiss seemed to be off center (or shoe is) so Leica finder was my choice for framing.

I also have the 24 Elmarit so finder works for both with FF. sold my 21-24-28 finder.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some here have written that the zeiss finder does not frame the image correctly due to an offset issue.

If you look at the Leica finder on top of he camera you'll see that it is not straight but in a slight angle from the outlines of the camera. This is necessary to achieve the best position in accordance to the lense's field of view. Since the Zeiss finder was made for the Zeiss Ikon camera, where the hotshoe and the lens are positioned differerently there should be some difference in the finder's field of view - though I don't know if this really matters.

... there should be some difference in the finder's field of view - though I don't know if this really matters.

I'm happy with my Zeiss and so far (2 years) with M9 and M9-P no problems.

Not sure if this has been brought up before but, looking to purchase an 18mm viewfinder to use with my 18mm super-elmar.

I have no hands on experience of the Leica or Zeiss version. I have read a couple of reviews but, does anybody here have advice on which would be the best way to go?..

Thanks in advance.

See my PM of yesterday to you.

I hope I am not breaking forum rules, but if you decide you want one, I have one I would be willing to part with.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/about-leica-forum/6909-rules-leica-forum.html:

Private sale of Leica products

This forum contains a buy & sell area: Leica Forum Classifieds. No buy & sell activities, linking to third party selling sites (e.g. link to eBay and similar areas) are allowed.

This also includes any form of negotiations, price/pricing discussions or for sale information.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/market/

• Like 1

I know this will sound heretical to the Lecia community, but I purchased a [really cheaply made plastic] 18mm viewfinder on eBay last year for about $20. It's small and works just fine for my purposes. I have the "Frankenfinder" for use with my Tri-Elmar but it's just too large for my tastes (although very nicely designed and made, IMO). I also have a Voigtlander 15mm finder that I bought when I got my 15mm Heliar a few years ago, that also seems nicely made.

I shoot both 24 and 18 regularly, and I have used all of the finders mentioned in posts above. My opinion is that the Frankenfinder is clearly superior to the rest in terms of brightness and perhaps even clarity.... but it is nearly as large as the M itself! I went with the Leica 18 finder because it is small, has good contrast and seems to frame 18 very well up to maybe 12 ft or so (thereafter, you just get more and more actual FOV).

In terms of alignment, I had to adjust mine using the set screws underneath-- it seems the factory assembler might have had a few beers before finishing my finder!

Also, I have bought and sold via forum ads. It is a great experience and support for our little corner of the world.

If you want total parallax adjustment and all that the Frankenfinder agree is the best. How ever if you want to talk OVF which seem to self correct as to their objective being placed over the lens axis, I vote for the 28/24/21 part number 12013. It has a thumb screw like the Frankenfinder so that when pulling camera out of your bag this finder does not slip off somewhere. That seems to be how many people seem to "misplace" the ordinary OVF. Can't use the EVF on the M with it, but it works on M9, MM and M and if you own any of those 3 lenses you are set. Not as expensive as all the rest. Not many on dealers shelves new, but happen to have seen one at The Pro Shop WPB, FL yesterday. It was brand new from this Leica dealer. Ask for Art or Jim.

Edited by algrove