Minimum operating temperature

lphong

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some sources claim that the minimum operating temperature of a M is about -10; one has to send the camera to Solmes for some special treatment if he/she wishes to take photos in the extreme cold.

I sent my M4-2 to Solmes for repair last year.. My guess is that they have used the new Teflon based grease so it was prefectly functional in -26!

I am sooo sorry... Could the moderators please move this topic to the relevant forum? Just realised that I have made a mistake.

Edited by lphong

i have no immediate intention of being out in that weather anytime soon. BUT, i do wonder whether the film might become an issue, getting stiff and emulsion cracking while advancing, stuff like that, in such cold weather before the camera balks -- and I talking about an M4, or any other operating without a battery.

i have no immediate intention of being out in that weather anytime soon. BUT, i do wonder whether the film might become an issue, getting stiff and emulsion cracking while advancing, stuff like that, in such cold weather before the camera balks -- and I talking about an M4, or any other operating without a battery.

Yes I noticed that the film became stiffer; more differicult to advance. But the results has turned out to be absolutely fine.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the film is more stiffer, even brittle so you have to do the transport smoothly. I won't recommend a respooling with this temperature. But the film did not break.

My fingers might drop off from my hand if I respool in this temperature.. It wasn't at all pleasant.

A National Geographic photographer (now retired) told me of the extra care he used when shooting in arctic conditions with an M2 and Kodachrome film. He used a Leicavit and had to be careful to pull the film gently, moving the 'vit slowly lest the film snap - and it did twice regardless. But that was the Kodachrome era.

Here an example on Fomapan T200 film.

The stairs from the Palace in Prague are empty.

190902189_6ae2a9a45a_z.jpg

-22C. 20 seconds without gloves are Blue fingers.

Here another one: Krkonoše, downstairs -5C, upstairs -25C. Fomapan 400 film. And with a half full battery within 10 minutes low batt on the M7. I do not have to tell you that a battery switch in 1/2m snow and -25C is imposssible.

3458111397_be39b55ae4_z.jpg

Here a last one before my Oly PEN E-P1 died from the cold:

Kiev.

5232022233_e2c9f5286a_z.jpg

Only -15C :)

BTW my iPad stops already at -5C.

I have been using an M2 and an M3 with the classic film loading system up until now. Last week I purchased an M4-2 with the quick load system and found the following bit of info in the manual interesting:

"Only at temperatures below freezing must the film be inserted in the LEICA according to the diagrammatic representation, i.e. the film lead must be caught by only one slot of the take-up spool; any portion protruding through the second slot beyond the take-up spool is liable to break off at low temperatures. In normal conditions the film lead can be threaded through the take-up spool until it touches the wall of the housing."

BTW my iPad stops already at -5C.

I used my iPad for metering in the cold and it was still functional :D This is what I have taken in -26,,

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A National Geographic photographer (now retired) told me of the extra care he used when shooting in arctic conditions with an M2 and Kodachrome film. He used a Leicavit and had to be careful to pull the film gently, moving the 'vit slowly lest the film snap - and it did twice regardless. But that was the Kodachrome era.

I don't really remember how does the advancing Kodachrome feel like now. But I have noticed that Provia X is slightly stiffer than Portra and Tri-X in normal temperature.