Leica M (Typ 240) and 28mm Elmarit ASPH, 24mm Elmar ASPH samples?

sdk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks,

I have been disappointed with residual uncorrected color shifts in the corners of shots with my M9P and 28mm Elmarit ASPH and 24mm Elmar ASPH lenses (particularly snow scenes). The built in profiles of my camera don’t seem adequate for my samples of these lenses. Has anyone with the new Leica M worked with these lenses? If so, could you please post samples?

Thanks, Steve K

Hi Folks,

I have been disappointed with residual uncorrected color shifts in the corners of shots with my M9P and 28mm Elmarit ASPH and 24mm Elmar ASPH lenses (particularly snow scenes). The built in profiles of my camera don’t seem adequate for my samples of these lenses. Has anyone with the new Leica M worked with these lenses? If so, could you please post samples?

Thanks, Steve K

Steve,

Did you update to the latest firmware? They include improvements of all wide lenses.

Best

Holger

Yes I use M9 1.196 firmware, but I’m not satisfied with the flatfield correction on these lenses with my camera body, the 28mm has cyan corners and the 24mm has some cyan corners and some red corners. I suspect minor manufacturing variations lead to the color casts being acceptable with some M9 body/wide lens combos and not good enough on others. For example Lloyd Chambers noted the same flaw I am experiencing with my 24mm/3.8 elmar with a 21mm/3.4 Super Elmar he tested on his M9. For landscape work, I prefer the Elmarit’s smoother out of focus rendering to the blurrier rendition of the Summicron, but the color casts are much worse with the little Elmarit.

I was curious as to how improved the corner color rendering may be with the new Leica M model 240 with the 28mm/2.8 ASPH and 24mm/3.8 ASPH lenses in particular. I have seen some nice photos from the 28mm Summicron but not the Elmarit ASPH yet, and I have not seen any samples from the 24mm/3.8.

• Like 1