And... One more thing on the new M

henning

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since Leica has decided to change the thread for the cable release on the new M240 (and possibly on the M-E and Monochrom according to some rumours), the softies that most companies made, including Rapidwinder - Tom Abrahamsson's company, don't fit any more. Actually, I suspect the shutter release with cable release socket might well be subcontracted, and the subcontractor eyeballed it.

In any case, the old softies don't fit properly and new ones are required. So Tom and I went out this afternoon with my M240 to his favourite CNC shop and with the great help of Branco, the machine operator produced about 10 different variations until we had a perfect fit. So now I have one that works.

Pictures at: New Softies for M

Henning

That is of little help to people who use a cable release. I'd rather that Leica fixed the dimensions or would offer a short adapter. I mean, truly what were they thinking?

I tried about 6 different cable releases. 4 worked. But I agree; why not go back to the previous dimensions?

Henning

My ancient cable release works on my Monochrom (though the thread is tapered).

Why did Leica change the thread?

They simply **********. There is no other way to characterize it.

Edited by jaapv
bad language

I don't think they did that for one minute. The old shutter release leaked like a sieve so weathproofing the camera may have had something to do with it.

Edit: I've just tried it using the official cable release accessory and it works fine. So, if anyone has been lax, it's the softie manufacturers.

Edited by marknorton
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think they did that for one minute. The old shutter release leaked like a sieve so weathproofing the camera may have had something to do with it. [...]

I don't buy that for a second. Weatherproofing a cable release socket is as simple as sliding a rubber-band down the cable against the release. Who would expose the M to the kind of wet that would make a cable release leak? Their splash-proofing would fail under the same circumstances. Leica simply ********** A major change to a decades old cable release standard with no notice? (Yes, there are two standards but each still works with all other cameras.) What were they thinking?

Edited by jaapv
bad language

Guest WPalank

my old fashioned Cable-release (Leica Branded) works on Monochrom and M. Possibly it is the after market variety (so popular o this Forum), that is not working.

• Like 2

From other threads:

From Tom A.'s site:

The "pitch" on the Leica Monochrom and M/ME thread is different. Leica changed it slightly - it is more shallow and a slightly finer thread.

Jan. 20, 2013:

At breakfast on Friday Tom Abrahamsson showed the new Softie he had for the Monochrom and M-E. Besides having a shorter and thinner shaft, it also has threads with a steeper pitch. The difference is quite noticeable. He had talked to Stefan Daniels, who had expressed surprise that the release had been changed. Probably the supplier for the shutter buttons had been changed, and the specs hadn't been checked carefully.

I can't imagine any logical reason for changing the attachment specifications for soft releases and cable releases.

In any case Tom had been a while with his machinist last week homing in on the correct specs for the attachment. They are CNC fabricated, so from now on they should work properly.

The only thing is, what about all my cable releases? I thought the point of retaining the socket was to allow attachment of all the old accessories. And what about my APDOO?

Henning

I've found that filing 1mm. or so off the pointed threaded end of my M9 softies makes them fit better. I also have 3 softies bought from Japan, marked with a "G" ( GIN-ICHI ) which still fits perfectly on the MM, probably because their thread depth is slightly shorter. I don't have an M to try but it's probably the same as the MM.

..& there's no need to "F&BLIND" publicly about it. I'm sure there's better things to swear about.

A soft release needs to fit perfectly in the thread or it will fall out, unlike a cable release that can have more leeway just so long as it is tight enough to stay there while the exposure is made. But for as long as I can remember matching camera's and cable releases has been an imperfect science. Some fit all camera's 'more or less', some fit perfectly one camera but don't screw into another at all. I suspect this is the case here, a bit of hysteria perhaps, although we shouldn't entirely rule out the considerable profit motive where Leica and accessories are concerned.

Steve

I am just waiting for a modified thread mini-softie from Tim Isaacs (Match Technical) to arrive. Tim has very kindly sent me a free one to try. Hopefully if USPS works (ha ha), it should be here in a day or so. I will post a photo and a brief report.

On a totally different matter, the M is very fussy on picking up hand coding. It is back to the days of the M8, which was also very fussy. I have a 25 ZM biogon, hand coded as a 24/2.8 and brings up the correct 24/35/135 frame-lines. It picks up on the M9 LED's as a 24/2.8 but nothing on the M. I have checked the positioning of the marks with my M-Coder and re-marked with a Sharpie but no joy. My hand coded ZM 50 Planar on the other hand, picks up just fine - go figure.

Wilson

Edited. Please Pico. Ladies and children present.

I'm sorry Jaap but I do wish moderators would resist the temptation to edit out 'bad' language in posts. It is, at best, patronising (though I assume the reference to "Ladies" is tongue-in-cheek) and is indicative of a drift towards a more heavily moderated forum. I'm sure we'll all agree that we wouldn't want the forum to end up like RFF.

• Like 2

I'm sorry Jaap but I do wish moderators would resist the temptation to edit out 'bad' language in posts. It is, at best, patronising (though I assume the reference to "Ladies" is tongue-in-cheek) and is indicative of a drift towards a more heavily moderated forum. I'm sure we'll all agree that we wouldn't want the forum to end up like RFF.

Personally speaking, Ian, it seemed ott in the context of "softies". Whilst everyone would agree that Pico's sense of disgust is very clear, generally speaking, left unchecked it frequently escalates to an adolescent spat that encourages verbal abuse, that offends & alienates others from joining in the discussion. This form of abuse is all too easy these days, especially online. Things get misunderstood.

Besides... I am a lady.

• Like 3

I prefer the forum to be free of bad language; there is no need for it.

That's a totally different point from whether mods or anyone else should interfere with what members choose to say.

Appeal to people if you wish them to use different words, but don't force it on them. In my opinion.

Personally, there are things that people say that are far more offensive than swear words, yet no one would dream of censoring them because they are cloaked in polite language.

This is an old chestnut that has never been satisfactorily resolved and I think deserves its own thread, in the bar perhaps.

• Like 2