die letzten

I have used a " Die Letzten" Camera for a year, one year ago, then traded it for a MP a la Carte. I did not regret it. The camera had no extra meaning for me. The 0,58 M6 TTL ( a black one ) I also used about 5 years ago. The 0,58 I didn't think practical. With the 24mm and 28mm it's alright, but is still has a rangfinderbase which is a little short. I had some difficulties with making really sharp pictures hence I sold it.

The 0,58 I didn't think practical. With the 24mm and 28mm it's alright, but is still has a rangfinderbase which is a little short.

My first Leica M was a 0.58x M6TTL (in the good days earlier this century when you could buy a brand new M camera - albeit a grey import - for £900:)). I didn't know any different then but I never found the lower mag viewfinder a problem and used it with a good range of lenses – including, later on, an F1 Noctilux. The 0.58x is particularly nice with a 35mm as you no longer have the visual clutter of the 135mm frames and there is a good amount of space around the edges of the 35mm frame.

As far as the "Die Letzten" thing goes, I wouldn't personally pay any kind of premium to obtain one of these cameras.

Die Letzten are also TTL, though they are strangely called the last "M6" (and incidentally there appears to have been another batch after die Letzten), so isn't the question really whether one wants to have the commemorative text marked on the top plate or not?

One can have any reason for buying a commemorative edition. For instance, I have the TTL Millennium, which I bought because it offers the M3 knob and lever and because it doesn't have any extra stamps or engravings, apart from the nice original script on the top (imho it is how the MP should have looked, but that's another discussion).

So, unless you want that particular model (with the various things it came with - see for instance this description), I would find a good condition M6TTL. It will save you money that can be put to lenses and film. In my case, I would have gone for one with .72x VF which I think is a good average magnification for wider and longer lenses.

I bought my "Die letzten" from a shopkeeper who had closed his business (15 years earlier!!). It was his last Leica M6TTL. so I had to buy this one , for the price of an M6TTL. ;) if I had to pay extra I wouldn't have bought it, but it was a good buy at the time and a perfect trader against my recent MP. The " Die letzten " had a 0,85 viewfinder, which I prefer over all viewfinders. That is why my MP did stay 0,85.