Leica X2 silence the siren song of the fuji X100s

Peter L

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Received the Leica X2 today, a delightful camera.

The LCD is just fine in spite of its low pixel count, probably won't use much anyway.

The menu's are straight forward , the controls on the camera is all that one needs, I was pleased that the camera has ev shift.

I did have a Fuji X100s on pre-order which I will be cancelling , the fuji's are very nice cameras, I have the X Pro 1 and 3 lenses, however, I enjoy the simplicity of the X2

and also its beautiful clean form shape.

Here is the obligatory shot with the new camera of my 2 labradors Zoe and lily,

sorry for the awful background.

I am enjoying this forum, I read practically all the threads and when I received the camera,

it was as if I already knew it.

Peter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I've had the X2 since Dec 25 and have used it much more than I thought I would use it. One thing I purchased that I originally thought was over priced was the EVF2... Let me make you aware that it's well worth it!!! Even if you want to purchase the Olympus version, the viewfinder is awesome. At any rate, have fun with it!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another shot with the my X2 , DNG, corrected in LR, Some luminance noise at 3200 ISO, no sharpening slight color adjustment.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Have an X1 on the way but my wife wants me to send it back to save our budget. I've been shooting the XP1 and have really liked it. However, I just got back into DSLR's with a Canon for my wildlife photography and wondering if I need the X mount system and the EOS system. The simplicity of the X1 is calling me (plus the red dot).

Will the IQ and handling of the X1 come close enough to the XP1 that I won't miss it?

Have an X1 on the way but my wife wants me to send it back to save our budget. I've been shooting the XP1 and have really liked it. However, I just got back into DSLR's with a Canon for my wildlife photography and wondering if I need the X mount system and the EOS system. The simplicity of the X1 is calling me (plus the red dot).

Will the IQ and handling of the X1 come close enough to the XP1 that I won't miss it?

The X1 should have basically the same image quality. Upgrades were made in other areas such as autofocus speed, flash mechanism etc. If you are on a budget, the X1 should be able to be found substantially discounted by now (I've seen 50% off)...

The X1 should have basically the same image quality. Upgrades were made in other areas such as autofocus speed, flash mechanism etc. If you are on a budget, the X1 should be able to be found substantially discounted by now (I've seen 50% off)...

Sorry, I was comparing to X2... My bad...

The X1 killer for me remains with the X2. No viewfinder. The red dot is not worth the premium without one. The Fuji starts with a massive advantage as a result, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

The X1 killer for me remains with the X2. No viewfinder. The red dot is not worth the premium without one. The Fuji starts with a massive advantage as a result, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

How about shooting it with the OVF attached?

That's a kludge. Don't get me wrong, I use a Ricoh GRDIII, but the X2, and the X1 before it is too bloody expensive to have to stick a viewfinder on to in order to make it usable. The X100 and now the X100S recognise the value of an onboard viewfinder and deliver it - why compromise? I look on the X1 and X2 as being the modern equivalents of the Leica Standard. My II started life as a Standard and went back to the factory to have a rangefinder and viewfinder fitted because that was the sensible thing to do. Why, 79 years later, there is this desire to step backwards escapes me.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by bill

I bought the OVF as soon as I received the X2. It is excellent, I used it twice. I don't know. It auto focuses so well and figures out my subject, I don't need it. Also, the jpgs that come out of the camera are astonishingly good. I still haven't figured out how to duplicate them. I also have a Fuji xE-1. The low light performance of the Fuji beats the heck out of the Leica. I still prefer the Leica to work with, much easier. JD

• 2 weeks later...
That's a kludge. Don't get me wrong, I use a Ricoh GRDIII, but the X2, and the X1 before it is too bloody expensive to have to stick a viewfinder on to in order to make it usable. The X100 and now the X100S recognise the value of an onboard viewfinder and deliver it - why compromise? I look on the X1 and X2 as being the modern equivalents of the Leica Standard. My II started life as a Standard and went back to the factory to have a rangefinder and viewfinder fitted because that was the sensible thing to do. Why, 79 years later, there is this desire to step backwards escapes me.

Regards,

Bill

Bill, very good point about your Leica II conversion. However, had Leica offered a conversion where the rangefinder/viewfinder could be easily slipped off for those occasions when compactness mattered, do you think you would have been tempted?