Why video is a good idea on the 240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm completely with skinfell on this. VERY often I have to provide simple "talking head" interviews alongside the still photography documentation that I do for clients. Not having to carry the 5D2 + appropriate lenses on location is a huge advantage. The Gitzo Traveller and a light mono-pod would be with me any way - so if all I need to add to the bag is the microphone adapter and an extension cable for the mike it's a perfect set up - and with a 50 lux or 90 cron, the video looks great. OK, not fine art, but that's not why I'm doing it. And definitely not crap!

• Like 2

Soon they will need zoomie effects and Leica will have to make a line of zoom lenses.

Remember the one man band? Blow something with your mouth, beat a drum with your hands and play something with your feet. Then they will complain about not getting good quality and missed photos while you are doing video.

Then you have to carry al this stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much of a traditionalist (just ask my children); but, it seems to me that there is a large group among us that is not a little miffed that video is even in the new M’s capability in any form at all.

Why do you care so much?

People talk about video on the M like it's just bludgeoned your entire family to death with a stick.

I'm completely with skinfell on this. VERY often I have to provide simple "talking head" interviews alongside the still photography documentation that I do for clients. Not having to carry the 5D2 + appropriate lenses on location is a huge advantage. The Gitzo Traveller and a light mono-pod would be with me any way - so if all I need to add to the bag is the microphone adapter and an extension cable for the mike it's a perfect set up - and with a 50 lux or 90 cron, the video looks great. OK, not fine art, but that's not why I'm doing it. And definitely not crap!

Spot on..

I carry with me.. a Rode pin mic, manfrotto monopod with fluid head and also a small LED light. It's all you need. I also have a separate Tascam audio recorder. Simple. Small and produces good work.

Here's the Manfrotto.. very handy with some little feet too..

Fluid Video Monopod With Head 561BHDV - Fluid | Manfrotto

and here's what can be achieved with it basic kit - and shooting video and stills on the same job - same camera - editing video the next morning for a couple of hours and delivering to the client within 12 hours of the event.

This isn't a Hollywood movie - but it's what lots of my clients are asking for - and another revenue stream for me. Of course you need to learn how to edit movies though!

satureyes photography | videos | Events To The Future

R

Well, they certainly are all in on the cine lens side of things. They make wonderful cine lenses for the motion picture industry.

As you know, cine lenses are significantly different from Leica's still camera lenses. I imagine we will eventually read of people who have their still lenses hacked to remove the aperture click-stops and to loosen the focus, and in some cases remove the infinity lock in order to mimic, at the basic level, a cine lens. Not me!

... I also suspect that the 75mm Summilux will be dearly missed. It dresses up well. :)

Oh, rolling shutter (not quite)

Edited by pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why do you care so much?

People talk about video on the M like it's just bludgeoned your entire family to death with a stick.

I'm very happy video is included in the new M. Now, as to why...I see it is a challenge personally, learning new software, concepts, and technology et al. I think video software is very intimidating to many still photographers, I included. Face your fears and all that!

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. Even as a traditionalist, I’m pro video in the M. On the other hand, some seem to be angry at the very idea.

Edited by Jeffry Abt

When doing my 'holiday of my life', last year (you will find the picture parade here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/landscape-travel/217188-off-cruise.html ), the cruise from Southampton to Singapore, I brought both my M9 and my Sony Camcorder. That latter of the old magnetic tape sort. While the M9 performed flawlessly through the whole two months trip the Sony Camcorder 'came on and off' all the time. Making it impossible to film the trip systematically. Particularly tragic was it when this Sony ding broke down during a heavy sand storm (yes!) in the Suez Canal. It was so important to me to film the travel through the canal to show my old father-in-law, -- who died a year later. - He had sailed it many times, even before WWII.

Then it struck me that a future digital M camera should have a video capability. To me it will be a clear advantage: I will have a more compact and reliable 'picture recording package' - producing high quality video, for long holiday trips etc.

Further: Video is new to most of us. But don't be afraid of it, because being an able still photographer makes you a star video photographer! Just wait and see.

Several of my digital cameras do video, such as the Digilux 2 or the Nex 5N. The difference is that the Nex 5N is so small that I keep on pressing the bloody video button when I merely want to hold the camera. I've lost several shots that way. Also, the unwittingly recorded videos clutter the storage card. The position of that button on the Nex is just awful. Hopefully, it's in a better place on the M.