My New Noctilux f0.95, to keep or not to keep

Saad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to the people of my favorite Forum. I saw this available Brand New usually hard to find Noctilux and I committed the insane act of buying it. When it arrived 2 days ago I took 2 days off work to test it and test against my old Noctilux f1.

So I put the lens on my Sony NEX 6 (I am waiting for the new M) and went to the really old and poor part of the City. The fact that I came out alive together with the lens, may add some value to the following photographs.

All photos were taken at iso 400 and f0.95. Slow shutter speeds of around 40 to 100. I was trying to see if the bulk and weight of the lens would allow for lower iso and shutter speeds.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

These are amazing. If you can afford to - Keep, keep, keep. You will learn to milk the most of it and your photos will improve from here which is all good.

Personally I don't feel the bulk and weight of this lens anymore. I'm used to it and I would imagine you will get used to it once you use it more. Mine doesn't often come off my M9.

Thank you Dear Paul, you are kind. It is not the weight so much but the $11,000 and more than that is how much I would actually use it. I am almost sure I am going to keep it. The excitement it generates inside when using it, is something else.

The City is Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

best regards

Saad

• Like 1

Thank you Dear Paul, you are kind. It is not the weight so much but the $11,000 and more than that is how much I would actually use it. I am almost sure I am going to keep it. The excitement it generates inside when using it, is something else.

The City is Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

best regards

Saad

It's a very beautiful city. One that I would love to see based on these few pics alone!

Saad, these photos are really wonderful. The photo of the lone boy in green light in particular is spectacular. Very decisive. Keep this up.

Yes I appreciate the price. It's hefty and a tough call! If you can bring yourself to keep it I assure you will be rewarded with wonderful pictures and you will learn to get more out of it once you learn the lenses strengths. Try it stopped down at f8 in good light at ISO 160 and it will blow your mind how ridiculously sharp it is. It's a very capable and usable beast.

Edited by Paul J

Thank you very much Paul, that boy is actually a girl who came after me saying "please please take my picture" I am feeling that lens must have evoked that innate human appreciation for a master piece of the night :)

This other picture of her was taken at a shutter speed of 40 (not a good idea) so the picture is a bit blurred because I was little nervous as a car was coming she said "you take the picture, the car will stop". Well with a sweet look like that, the car obviously did stop.

• Like 9

Thank you very much Paul, that boy is actually a girl who came after me saying "please please take my picture" I am feeling that lens must have evoked that innate human appreciation for a master piece of the night :)

This other picture of her was taken at a shutter speed of 40 (not a good idea) so the picture is a bit blurred because I was little nervous as a car was coming she said "you take the picture, the car will stop". Well with a sweet look like that, the car obviously did stop.

Great story. I love when moments like these happen....

best regards

There's some really good pictures there, looks to me that you are doing it justice.

Though why should you feel alarmed enough to mention being able to "come out alive" from any Saudi city? With all due respect it's hardly the slums of Rio is it?

Edited by steveclem

Thank you Bill, thank you Mark and thank you Steve. You are absolutely right about the Safety of Saudi cities, but when you are carrying around that kind of value in an area with a lot of poverty, it is of some concern, most of the people there are illegal residents and I never saw one Policeman, however the people there I like very much. Is Rio that dangerous for the Noctilux??? :)

You know I have on order the new Apo 50 Summicron, and now I am thinking maybe I don't need a really sharp lens, it seems a bit boring, and yes I know the Summicron is very different.

Saad

Here is a photo I took last week, it got on LFI gallery earlier today...I used M9 and Noct .95.. Do not sell your lens!

• Like 4

I will leave you good people with 3 more pictures I took last night before I go sleep. All at f0.95.

• Like 6