S in use

spoons

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's been about two weeks since I started using the new S.

It's not been the easiest transition from my Eos 1 ds3 and I can't remember if this was always the case with new cameras. I think in days gone by, I just had different cameras for different things, anyway.......

.....I know that one can't always compare either but I came across the most annoying thing today, the two cards facility is great but unlike the Canon, the two cards are recorded in parallel but don't record the same thing, like having a back up on the CF card of what is on the SD card. On the S, according to Leica, one records the DNG and the other records JPEGS. I can't believe it. Whats the point in that ?

The other irritating thing is that if you have the battery grip on, the battery in the body and the battery in the grip are drained together so that you have to take off the battery grip off to get at the bluddy battery in the body to charge it. It would have been better ( IMO ) to either have a plug socket on the outside for the body battery or for the grip battery to drain first before using the body battery.

I'm finding it difficult to get on with the loaner lenses and think that my big shoot next week will be on my Canon. i gave up using the S today in favour of the Canon too.

Disappointing.

It's been about two weeks since I started using the new S.

.....I know that one can't always compare either but I came across the most annoying thing today, the two cards facility is great but unlike the Canon, the two cards are recorded in parallel but don't record the same thing, like having a back up on the CF card of what is on the SD card. On the S, according to Leica, one records the DNG and the other records JPEGS. I can't believe it. Whats the point in that ?

The other irritating thing is that if you have the battery grip on, the battery in the body and the battery in the grip are drained together so that you have to take off the battery grip off to get at the bluddy battery in the body to charge it. It would have been better ( IMO ) to either have a plug socket on the outside for the body battery or for the grip battery to drain first before using the body battery.

Spoons

The first is an RTFM thing I am afraid. I am set up with CF as main card and then SD as overflow. No need for dual writing ( which also takes time).

The second is certainly not the case with mine. The grip battery is used first ... I don't think I used a special menu setting for this.

Ed

The issue of using both a CF and SD card in the S/S2 has been covered here before, basically the camera does not have the ability to write two DNG files at the same time, so you are not able to shoot a DNG file to both the CF and SD card. You can either shoot DNG to one and JPEG to the other, or as Constable pointed out, have the camera automatically switch from the CF to the SD once the CF is full.

Per the battery grip, this is an item in which procedure is very important. You want to have a battery in the camera with the camera turned off, and a battery in the grip. Attach the grip (with the battery already in it) to the camera and THEN turn the camera on. That way, the camera draws first from the battery in the grip, and then from the battery in the camera. The S/S2 will not function with only a battery in the grip (it requires a battery in the camera at all times) but as long as you follow that procedure, it will drain the grip battery first before the internal battery.

Personally, I found the transition to the S very easy and intuitive, but it is a comprehensive tool, and requires some reading of the manual (handgrip issue).

My biggest challenge has been getting used to the impact of camera shake for sharpness when used handheld in natural light - the sheer resolution makes it vulnerable for shake (see the discussion on Ming Thein's blog on this Clearing up the myth of higher resolution, shot discipline and image quality once and for all – Ming Thein | Photographer)

The dual card with RAW+JPEG can be useful if JPEGs are needed for immediate use, of for backup.

What was your problem with the lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, thank you for the battery grip info...thats SO useful to know and although I did read the manual, I guess I didn't take it all in. Thank you.

I also now see the benefit of the Jpegs and DNG on separate cards. A reaction from years of habit with the 1DS.

Thanks both for great information. I will also read the Thein piece.

I am not going to shoot with it until my lenses arrive, as the primes are just too limiting and distracting for me. By then, I will have relaxed a little and am sure to enjoy the camera for what it is.

Thanks boys

Hi

yes, I am a pro...since I was 17. I am waiting in London for the 30 - 90 and in New York for the 24..neither have shown up yet.

Leica have lent me 30 + 35 + 70 which are OK but the gap is too large and it's just all a little tricky. I am very happy using the 1DS 3. Actually, I bought the 24-70 mk2 lens and its very good at about 11 and i shoot almost everyday woth it, so it's an old friend.

I'm not especially into forums per se but I thought I would write a bit to help answer a few things that others might ask.

I'll have a look.

paulr

• 3 weeks later...

Per the battery grip, this is an item in which procedure is very important. You want to have a battery in the camera with the camera turned off, and a battery in the grip. Attach the grip (with the battery already in it) to the camera and THEN turn the camera on. That way, the camera draws first from the battery in the grip, and then from the battery in the camera. The S/S2 will not function with only a battery in the grip (it requires a battery in the camera at all times) but as long as you follow that procedure, it will drain the grip battery first before the internal battery.

This would appear to be incorrect . On page 13/14 of the grip user manual, it states that the batteries are used in parallel, so after a days shooting, the camera has to be taken off the tripod, then the grip removed to get at the body battery. Not a very good design.