M240 LCD size: is 3" the same as other 3" LCD's

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know this may seem like a stupid question.. but...

The M240 has a 3"LCD but does that mean it's the same dimensions as another camera with a 3" screen?

I ask because I want to get a Magnetic viewfinder which attaches to the screen with a magnetic surround - and I have a spare one for my Canon 1DX which I think has a 3" screen..

Also - for (dare I say it) screen protectors etc.. will a generic 3" protector fit properly..

and please.. dont start me on the gorilla glass.. i'm just asking!

Not that stupid; the problem is that although the display area is 3 inches, 7.7cm, the glass is larger, 8.7cm diagonally. The reason for this is that the whole display module occupies the recess in the back of the camera. The active display area is offset to one side and the area outside is masked out. I'm not familiar with how these things magnetic viewfinders attach - no ferrous metal here for magnets to work.

So I think it would end up looking like a dog's breakfast. Same for a standard 3" screen protector. It will not cover the glass. And besides, you don't need them. First impressions are that the Gorilla glass is good but doesn't appear to have the sparkling clarity of the sapphire glass.

I know this may seem like a stupid question.. but...

The M240 has a 3"LCD but does that mean it's the same dimensions as another camera with a 3" screen?

I ask because I want to get a Magnetic viewfinder which attaches to the screen with a magnetic surround - and I have a spare one for my Canon 1DX which I think has a 3" screen..

Also - for (dare I say it) screen protectors etc.. will a generic 3" protector fit properly..

and please.. dont start me on the gorilla glass.. i'm just asking!

The 1DX has a 3.2 inch lcd, same as the 5Diii.

Not that stupid; the problem is that although the display area is 3 inches, 7.7cm, the glass is larger, 8.7cm diagonally. The reason for this is that the whole display module occupies the recess in the back of the camera. The active display area is offset to one side and the area outside is masked out. I'm not familiar with how these things magnetic viewfinders attach - no ferrous metal here for magnets to work.

So I think it would end up looking like a dog's breakfast. Same for a standard 3" screen protector. It will not cover the glass. And besides, you don't need them. First impressions are that the Gorilla glass is good but doesn't appear to have the sparkling clarity of the sapphire glass.

With the LCD viewfinders you actually get a metal frame with the module. This metal frame sticks around the actual LCD and you clip on the viewfinder unit to it.

I'm aware the EVF can be used- but these are proper viewfinders and are equally as good to provide a point of contact to steady the camera as they are to magnify the LCD to check focus.

This is the sort of thing I mean...

http://www.kinotehnik.com/products/lcdvf/overview

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I measure the LCD screen at 70mm wide and 49mm high, with the active area somewhat smaller and offset to the left. So, if one accepts the claim that the tough gorilla glass may still collect scratches, what screen protector fits best?

The Giottos SP83022 Schott Glass screen protector is a near-perfect fit on the LCD of the M typ240. This is marketed for Nikon 1 V1, J1, and V2 cameras.

The LCD measures 70mm x 49mm and has a narrow blank border that is not used for imaging, and similarly a wider unused bar at right.

The Giottos 3022 series measures 69mm x 49mm, has a narrow black border, and a wider black bar at the right, closely matching the Leica screen.

The first digit of the Giottos part number indicates variations with different numbers of anti-reflection coatings; 83022 has 12 coating layers.

I received a Giottos SP83022 today and applied it to the M screen, fitting beautifully. The adhesive on this item is only a thin stripe under the outside edges.

Doug

• Like 2

• 3 years later...