Kitting out the M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So it's time to start accumulating bling while I wait in line..

I need a soft release - is it just Match Technical or are there other manufacturers?

Anyone hear from Mr Luigi about if he's ready to start his new M240 cases?

On that note - do we get a back panel or not on his cases?

R

I need a soft release

Why, have you tried the new shutter release and found it deficient? Reports suggest it's much improved, not to mention weather sealed.

Do you really buy for 'bling' (including cases) or do you assess based on ergonomics and handling? I personally wouldn't know that until I used a camera naked for quite a while. (And so far they've stayed that way, but that's just my preference after use).

Jeff

I was being a little whimsical about the bling.

I do want a Luigi case - so want to get it sorted so I can have it as soon as possible.

As for the release I found with the M9 it helped me shoot with less shake. I have tried the new M release and it is nice - but perhaps not needed. I do like the ergonomics though of having a small convex one.

I was being a little whimsical about the bling.

I do want a Luigi case - so want to get it sorted so I can have it as soon as possible.

As for the release I found with the M9 it helped me shoot with less shake. I have tried the new M release and it is nice - but perhaps not needed. I do like the ergonomics though of having a small convex one.

The shutter action is really nice, very short travel, and very light. I've not tried it with a soft release, but I don't think it would improve it much.

- Steve

The shutter action is really nice, very short travel, and very light. I've not tried it with a soft release, but I don't think it would improve it much.

- Steve

+1.

You only need to get accustomed to the "missing" 2nd click compared to the M8/M9. At the beginning, I actually took several pictures when I thought I was metering the light.

Also, if you typically use the "soft release" feature on the M9, you may end up taking more than one shot in sequence.

No big deal - just a small learning curve, well worth it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Understood - aka "softy, beep, boop, etc.".

My reply was supporting Steve's statement: the M's shutter is really very soft (at least on my camera), not as "gritty" as with the M8/M9 (at least when new). I'd suggest you try it before adding a soft button, which could make you lose the shutter feeling.

Also, by "soft release", I meant the "soft shutter release mode" - apologies for not being very clear.

Understood - aka "softy, beep, boop, etc.".

My reply was supporting Steve's statement: the M's shutter is really very soft (at least on my camera), not as "gritty" as with the M8/M9 (at least when new). I'd suggest you try it before adding a soft button, which could make you lose the shutter feeling.

Also, by "soft release", I meant the "soft shutter release mode" - apologies for not being very clear.

No problem. I actually have tried it and it does have a good feel to it but i was wondering if handling would be improved at slow shutter speeds if there was a softy thing in there to wrap hour finger around and squeeze slowly. So to speak.

the thread of the shutter release on the MM & M-E is slightly different from the M9 so that my existing soft releases stand slightly proud. I don't know whether the M is the same but I'm guessing it probably is. I think Match Technical were redesigning their soft releases accordingly but don't quote me on that. I'm sure Luigi will already be a long way down the design road with his beautiful leather half cases & it will be interesting to see how he handles the new bigger, protruding screen, evf & thumb wheel. However, he is a true craftsman with great attention to detail & he really cares about his product. I have no doubt you will be given many choices..!!

I've asked this in another thread but it makes much more sense to post here, so... will my M8 Luigi halfcase work with the M240? I'm still unclear as to what exactly the changes to the camera's dimensions add up to! It would be very interesting to hear from someone who's tried the new camera with an existing case... :)

I've asked this in another thread but it makes much more sense to post here, so... will my M8 Luigi halfcase work with the M240? I'm still unclear as to what exactly the changes to the camera's dimensions add up to! It would be very interesting to hear from someone who's tried the new camera with an existing case... :)

No, it won't - if only because the screen and the controls are laid out differently.

• Like 1