M240: Tried it!

Olsen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Doing a fast swing down town Oslo today, I took the opportunity to visit Fotovideo and have a look at an example of the M240 on display. It will cost 52.000 NOK here in Norway (20% VAT included). But all the Norwegian dealers are sold out until June, 'at least'.

A pure young guy behind the counter, - that once told me that 'Leica is for oldies' ('Leica er for gamlinger') - could now tell me that the new M (240) seems to be 'hugely popular' with groups of customers far beyond the typical retiree home clients that have clinged to Leica the last 20 years. Telling me that M240 will be 'the new trend camera in 2013' among young & economically independant brand consious people' - - and so on.

- Oh, dear!

I got a chance to hold it.... Even though The Norwegian Bureau of Statistics have given me only 25 years left to live...

Quite an experience, actually, and more comfortable to hold than the M9, thanks to the small 'thumb edge', which makes a hell of a difference. This pure young fellow spent two minutes convincing me that live view is here to stay and the future way of photographing. Indeed; the LCD display is the best I have ever seen on any digital camera. So was the modern and intuitive menu, not to say the smart focusing support system.

I tried to buy a camera. To no effect. They were 'sold out and booked until mid June'.

Either Cathay Photo or Leica's Singapore Raffles-boutique will get the same offer, no later than by Friday this week. But, as I understand of the sentiments out among dealers, even that will be impossible. So, I have to wait until my turn. Sometime in late June. Perhaps.

Which can be 'just as well'. To what I see, the M240 brings little more to the market when it comes to Italian Flag Syndrome when using Super Wide angle lenses like the Voigtländer 15 mm. - Which is no big deal. But I have the WATE. If M240 does not work properly with WATE, I am not in a hurry. Then I still got 20.000 actuations left to go on in my M9 before worrying about buying a replacement.

The new battery looked far fatter. Good! So did the bottom cover bracket look too. That M240 is heavier could be felt, but added just 'quality' to it all.

The M240: A very exiting camera! (With a few unanswered questions....).

• Like 4

To what I see, the M240 brings little more to the market when it comes to Italian Flag Syndrome when using Super Wide angle lenses like the Voigtländer 15 mm. - Which is no big deal. But I have the WATE. If M240 does not work properly with WATE, I am not in a hurry.

You'll love the WATE on the M240...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-lenses/274486-m240-wate.html

It will cost 52.000 NOK here in Norway (20% VAT included).

(...)

A pure young guy behind the counter, - that once told me that 'Leica is for oldies' ('Leica er for gamlinger')

Då är jag redan gammal :( (then I'm already old)

But, wow, that's close to 7000€.

• Like 1

Sounds promissing. Has anyone seen test shots with the M240 and WATE - or other of Leica's super wide angle lenses?

Yes, Jono had at least one on his initial posting with the M. Also he has mentioned many times that he found the M was working vary well with the WATE.