My Decision......

ocho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to Leica, had an X1 for a while but I've made up my mind and want to put down my deposit for the new M. Please can somebody help me decide which colour to get, it's driving me mad :-) I rather like the look of the silver lenses but I'm concerned that the silver M with silver lens may be a little, dare I say, bling ?

Guest WPalank

By just saying to the dealer, I'll take the first available may put you higher in the queue and you don't need to make a decision.

• Like 1

I'm new to Leica, had an X1 for a while but I've made up my mind and want to put down my deposit for the new M. Please can somebody help me decide which colour to get, it's driving me mad :-) I rather like the look of the silver lenses but I'm concerned that the silver M with silver lens may be a little, dare I say, bling ?

Welcome Ocho. As you have found out, Leica is a slippery and expensive slope once you've jumped aboard. I did the same thing; Bought an X1 and then quickly bought an M9.

I tend to agree that all silver chrome can be perceived, by some, as a bit bling and pretentious. Personally, I couldn't give a shit and like silver chrome. :) It also wears very well. I've found the black paint on lenses to mark really easily even despite molly coddling the damn things. Have fun with the new camera and the journey of discovering new lenses.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a longtime and hard-nosed lover of chrome bodies, my advice is OBVIOUS... :p (*)

And, keep in mind that, in my NOT humble opinion, a chrome body with a black lens has a nice look (not so much the opposite); of course... personally I like more the chrome lenses...;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and, for instance, the weight difference of a frequently mounted lens like the Summicron 35 asph is not so significant... :cool:

(*) My dealer told me this Saturday : "One arrived, sold, 2 others around March 15, unreserved... all blacks... no news on delivery of chromes..." ; my answer : "no problem... you'll make me know about their arrival..."

• Like 2

I'm going for the chrome M240 but have all black lenses.. I would expect you'll not worry about this once you start shooting. It's what you do with them that counts.. not what colour they are.

Personally I'd always get black lenses- even with the chrome body, although I think on a nicely used chrome M (film or not) a chrome lens looks good but only the smaller lenses - not the larger 'luxes etc...

Black lens, chrome body. if you get the EVF then thats black too... as is a flash etc...

• Like 1

The Silver Chrome M is a thing of beauty with a smart classic retro twist. My black lenses look absolutely right with the body too. The black Olympus EVF is an addition which looks fine. Speaking to my dealer today he tells me that by far the majority of his pre-orders are for Black, which is why I was able to pick up my pre-ordered Silver Chrome M on Saturday ahead of the five pre-orders before me which were for Black. Enjoy your M when you get it!

love and peace,

David

• Like 1

The Silver Chrome M is a thing of beauty with a smart classic retro twist. My black lenses look absolutely right with the body too. The black Olympus EVF is an addition which looks fine....

Haven't yet seen it in the real world... but I tend to agree, despite my love for chrome... after all it is an ACCESSORY... useful, maybe even mandatory in some instances... but is an addon, a thing that has its role but is anyway ATTACHED, not an "intimate" part of the M camera... it would be illusory, having it in silver, to pretend it is an integral part of the body... (and a body with an EVF as integral element won't be more called "M"... as some speculations on the future of Leica do suggest... ;))

• Like 2

I used to have black body's but with the M9P I took a silver one, and absolute love it. Only have black lenses and they suit the camera very well. But I even like silver lenses on a black camera so this might be personal.

But the M9P can take the silver color pretty well. With the M240 with its big red dot I think I would pick a black camera again. Somehow I don't like the the red dot and silver together.

edit, always nice with pictures:

7338005740_1f9aeccee8_b.jpg

Edited by RobertJRB
  • Like 1

Thanks for your input everyone, I was doing an online purchase and had to make a choice. I picked the chrome finally. This will be a once in a lifetime buy for me and I wanted to have something classic. Also, I believe that either colour lens will look good and if I should come across any used lenses, the colour won't matter. I'm considering buying a 50mm lux (silver or black anyone :rolleyes:) new and then perhaps expanding into some used lenses for the less used fov. I'd like a nice portrait lens (inexpensive) if anyone has any input it would be gratefully received. Looks like I may have up to 6 months to decide!