CLA Recommendations

mabbo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anybody recommend a shop that does proper CLA's on Leica lens and (film) bodies in Chicago?

Otherwise, are Sherry Krauter and/or Don @ DAG still the go-to's in the Midwest?

I'm looking to get CLA's for: 50 Summitar, 50 Cron Ridge & 50 Lux Pre-Asph E46

and CLA/calibration for a M3.

Thanks!

John thanks for the reply! I will definitely keep your recommendations in mind.

Doing a little research I learned that Tamarkin Camera just opened a store here in Chicago last summer, so I may be able to get all the work done locally.

On a side note: I lucked out when I acquired a very clean Summitar (from 1949!) a while back, and I really like how it renders...wide open of course :D

This was from the first roll (Tri-x) I shot with the Summitar when I initially got the lens and convinced me it was a keeper!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Personally I wouldn't use a dealer for service, you have no idea who it's farmed out to - I speak from experience. I've used Essex Camera (excellent but very regrettably the business was destroyed by Sandy), Leica NJ, Youxin Ye, Don Goldberg (DAG) and Steve Choi. Of those I recommend Steve: reasonable prices, good communication, quick turnaround, very high quality work.

Personally I wouldn't use a dealer for service, you have no idea who it's farmed out to - I speak from experience. I've used Essex Camera (excellent but very regrettably the business was destroyed by Sandy), Leica NJ, Youxin Ye, Don Goldberg (DAG) and Steve Choi. Of those I recommend Steve: reasonable prices, good communication, quick turnaround, very high quality work.

Thanks for the input Peter.

I highly recommend Sherry Krauter. She has done a repair on my 50/2 Summicron and a C.L.A. On my M2 and did a top flight job on both. She is extremely knowledgable and great to deal with.

Good luck!,

Mabbo-

Seeing a nice clean shot like this makes me think who needs a Monochrome and a 50 APO!

Did you scan the negative or make a silver print and scan that?

Best,

Ha! John I wish it was that easy to convince myself...both the MM and 50 APO are near the top of an improbable wish list :(

To answer your question: I scanned the negative, and then made minor adjustments in LR.

I highly recommend Sherry Krauter. She has done a repair on my 50/2 Summicron and a C.L.A. On my M2 and did a top flight job on both. She is extremely knowledgable and great to deal with.

Good luck!,

Yes I've seen a lot of good feedback about Sherry, I'll be contacting her soon for an estimate.

Thanks!

I live close to Youxin Ye, of yye camera. I never knew he was so close (within 30minutes of my home) I brought a lens over to him for cleaning. I thought I was doing the correct thing by saving some money on postage. He told me to come in and sit with him. He and his wife Nguyen did an amazing job on my lens. Youxin does the mechanical part of the job, while his wife cleans all the elements. 90minutes late and 60 dollars US, I was happy and going home with a shiny "new" lens. My vote is for YYE...

Mark

I was happy and going home with a shiny "new" lens. My vote is for YYE...

Mark

Hey Mark may I ask which lens that was?

Hello mabbo,

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice photo.

Don't forget to also consider Kinderman in Toronto.

Best Regards,

Michael.

Thanks Michael, I'll look into that as well.