LHSA Summicron without LHSA Logo?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

Just purchased this lens, but to my surprise this has the styling of the LHSA edition Summicron ASPH but does not bear the LHSA logo where it's expected above the Made in Germany engraving at the bottom of the lens... Take a look:

se1-XL.jpg

se2-XL.jpg

Was there ever a production run of these lenses where it was not associated with LHSA? This is what I am familiar with...

Black-filled engraving:

Leicashop35mmf2ASPHLHSAa.jpg

(Source: Leica MP 0.72x (10301/10304) LHSA 1968~2003 Special Edition Grey hammertone finish rangefinder camera model - Part III)

Clear engraving (no filling):

3.jpg

(Source: Setadel Studios : Photography Equipment : Lenses : Leica 35mm Summicron-M F2 LHSA Hammertone Asph Lens +Bx)

Would love to hear your thoughts... Thanks in advance! :)

A good find. I've always thought this is the most attractive of the various Summicron ASPH variants – it looks even better without the LHSA logo. Maybe this was made for one of the many special editions commissioned by Schmidt Marketing for the Far East market?

This looks like a Thread Mount lens with an M adapter - if that is the case, I recall that a few of these were made for the Japanese market.

Where did you buy the lens? That may give us a clue as to its originas....

Cheers,

Jan

The Summicron 35 ASPH in screw mount, to say, the special edition for Japanese market you quote, had the standard straight barrel, not the one tapered at end like the item above (which, by the other side, can indeed have a LTM adapter mounted on... :confused:) The tapered end, afaik, is typical of the LHSA edition... which seems to me was available in customized finishings ("hammertone", gray, silver...)... dunno if all of them had the LHSA engraving... :confused:

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This looks like a Thread Mount lens with an M adapter - if that is the case, I recall that a few of these were made for the Japanese market.

Where did you buy the lens? That may give us a clue as to its originas....

Cheers,

Jan

The Summicron 35 ASPH in screw mount, to say, the special edition for Japanese market you quote, had the standard straight barrel, not the one tapered at end like the item above (which, by the other side, can indeed have a LTM adapter mounted on... :confused:)

If you look well at the first pict linked and compare that to the one posted, you will see that the bayonet ring is the same (thin and chrome) not an adapter S to M IMHO.

It's an M mount Summicron. The OP has opened a similar thread on another forum and somebody there has identified the lens as being part of a special edition MP Anthracite camera + lens + leicavit kit for the Japanese market. IMO it's a slightly odd combination: ugly camera but a very pretty lens.

Edit: There are more photos of the kit here. The lens is clearly the same style but possibly looks more grey than the one in the photos opening this thread.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...