M9 looks better than the M (240) ?

ockie50

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to stick my neck out and claim that from a purely physical appearance, aesthetics, point of view the M9 looks better than the new N (240). Here is what I don't like about the M;

1. the Leica dot is too big

2. new new silver-coloured selector below the rangefinder window destroys the "balance"

of the front design

3. the "M" looks like it is missing something (after it)

4. the screen is too big for the size of the back and destroys the straight "lines" of the top

and bottom brass covers

5. the EVF "hole" punctures the back of the top cover

6. the thumb rest takes away from the smooth lines of the back of the top cover

7. the silver wheel selector looks cheap

8. the silver round selector to the right is too "visible"

9. six buttons to the left are too many - looks crowded

Yes, I own the M9 and I have been saying to myself - "that is a nice looking camera"- more than once.

I am sure the new M will be a fantastics photographic tool. Looks is not everything....:)

• Like 3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't actually try the M then, you will hate the cheaper plastic controls, poorer bottom design and rubbish screen on your M9 rather quickly... I'm glad they chose quality and functionality over traditionalism for the most part.

Not that it would preclude me from buying an M, but I agree with the OP's points. I also don't like how, as with the M8, there isn't a notch on the top plate by the viewfinder on the new M. It makes the camera look bulkier.

To be honest, I don't care about the new screen or buttons, because I don't really use them, anyways, except to format my SD card. If it made the camera thinner, I'd be in favor of removing the LCD altogether.

• Like 3

Have to admit I'm also looking for excuses not to get excited over the M-240 ; probably because, most of the time, I'm happy with my M9-P and MM and certainly don't need another camera.

The large red dot is immediately off putting but easily fixed - but taping it over leaves a large black void including what also used to contain the frame illumination window.

Perhaps some enterprising individual will create a sticker that masks the red dot and restores the frame window :)

As the dead pan matt aesthetics of the MM appeal to me - I should stop reading all the reviews, get out take some photos and wait until there is a MP-240.

• Like 1

Have to admit I'm also looking for excuses not to get excited over the M-240 ; probably because, most of the time, I'm happy with my M9-P and MM and certainly don't need another camera.

The large red dot is immediately off putting but easily fixed - but taping it over leaves a large black void including what also used to contain the frame illumination window.

Perhaps some enterprising individual will create a sticker that masks the red dot and restores the frame window :)

As the dead pan matt aesthetics of the MM appeal to me - I should stop reading all the reviews, get out take some photos and wait until there is a MP-240.

I should too. I assume I'll eventually get an M, but I'm pretty happy with the M9/MM combo and love what I'm getting. I wish I could force myself to chimp less. I guess it's a benefit of the medium over film, but still.

• Like 1

Whether it is or isn't I'll ponder and meditate but if you really want some ugly looking cameras look at Nikon D800's and Canon 5D's, pick one up, then go back to the M240 and see how sleek, rounded, small but mostly look at the images......the M240 is now looking better and better.

I am going to stick my neck out and claim that from a purely physical appearance, aesthetics, point of view

Well, what you're saying is true. Looks more like a M9 than a M9-P.

Weighs about 1/3rd more. Ouch.

But I thought you were commenting on the quality of the images.

Even with the new one out, this one's still looking pretty darn good. :p

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Horrors – do you folks mean the red dot is a larger size and I can't replace it with an old M6 black dot?

I liked Donald's idea of a dot with a frameline illuminator printed on it. But I've always wondered why we had to scrounge black dots with Leica printed on them, when someone could just make & market some nicer-looking plain black ones.

Kirk

I agree with the Op's points- especially a comparison between the new M and the M9-P chrome- which is the best looking of all the digital M's Leica has made to date (including that Titanium which was the most expensive and the ugliest). I am slightly annoyed that the black M looks better than the Chrome one... but it is paint! I want Black Chrome!

the ill fitted rear screen is a real shame- it does spoil the lines.

Luckily as others have noted for Aesthetic purposes we can have our M3 and M2's which are far superior to all the digital offering in the looks department.

I should too. I assume I'll eventually get an M, but I'm pretty happy with the M9/MM combo and love what I'm getting. I wish I could force myself to chimp less. I guess it's a benefit of the medium over film, but still.

+1 until I actually hold the M......:rolleyes:

Bill-That was my downfall-going to Photokina and holding one.

I doubt I would have that option locally for a long time. My local dealer is not a large Leica dealer and it will be a long time before they have one on the shelf for holding so I am safe.