D-Lux 5 w/Hot Pixel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just picked up one of the last new Leica D-Lux 5 cameras for sale in the US. Really like the form factor and image quality. But it has a hot pixel in the upper right hand side of the images. Naturally it is most noticeable at higher ISO's, like 800, 1600, etc and with darker scenes.

Is this "normal" for these point & shoot Leicas to not be as high quality as the M cameras?

I have had hot pixels on my M8.2 and was able to send the camera back to Leica NJ and had the issue resolved. Can Leica NJ, or even Leica Solms, fix this issue, since Leica didn't make this camera, Panasonic did?

Any and all info on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest D-Lux 6

Well, I feel your pain. My Digilux 1 had a hot pixel, but it somehow seemed to resolve itself(?); no matter though, since I'm using a D-Lux 6. I would assume that the camera is no longer under warranty? As if it is, I would have to believe some arrangement would have to be made for that--even if they bump you to the next available version. Please do post and let us know what happens, as I'm curious what becomes of these issues in the Panasonic-made Leica cameras. Take care and good luck.

Actually it is still under warranty as it is only one week old. Found someone who still had a couple new ones in stock last week and bought one.

Will talk to Leica NJ this week and see what they say.

Edited by Timmyjoe

• 2 weeks later...

Just got it back. Pretty disappointed. Leica NJ said they could fix it by doing some kind of programing or reprograming of the chip, sort of clean the hot pixels out. They did something similar with my M8.2.

They first promised it by a certain date, then came back and said it would be two weeks later, then when I talked with them they put it back to the original promised date, day later they called and said it would be over a month as they did not have any CCD's in stock and needed to order one from Germany, when I asked why they had to replace the CCD for a few hot pixels that they originally said they could "scan out" or "reprogram out", they couldn't tell me, then they said they found a sensor in the shop, they replaced it and sent the camera back on time. And now it has hot pixels in different places in the image than it had when I sent it in.

So they didn't fix it, they just moved the hot pixels to other places in the image.

Pretty disappointed.

Guest D-Lux 6

I'm very sorry to hear that Tim, both for you and your camera to the rest of us that might require such service. We pay the high price tag so that we will receive great customer service. I would highly encourage you to send it in once again and demand something better. Best wishes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, I talked with them again and it looks like they forgot to do a step called Pixel/Column Recalibration (or something like that) after they put the new sensor in the camera. So it needs to go back to them for them to do that step. We'll see if that fixes things.